Grease Fire?

Bull & Eggs

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi, look what happened to the lid of my Bull. I ramped up the temp, and while it was warming up, I had a grease fire on the left side of the grill. I shut it down and let it cool. Everything appears ok, but the lid paint is bubbled. WTF. My ancient Weber gasser withstands more abuse than that. But everything and everyone is fine. A little bummed, but I'll survive.

20200426_191944.jpg
20200426_192018.jpg
20200426_191959.jpg

Aaw man. Hate it for you.

must have been a good fire! If you don't mind me asking, how ofter do you clean the grill? Was the drip pan clean? Glad everyone is alright though!

must have been a good fire! If you don't mind me asking, how ofter do you clean the grill? Was the drip pan clean? Glad everyone is alright though!
I should have cleaned the drip pan. I only cooked 3 Haselback potatoes and 3 burgers last night, using melted butter on the spud. Around a stick of melted butter.

I should have cleaned the drip pan. I only cooked 3 Haselback potatoes and 3 burgers last night, using melted butter on the spud. Around a stick of melted butter.
yea...thats why I'm going to foil mine when it gets up and running and change as I go. Still sucks. I'm actually shocked the paint bubbled up like that though, knowing these things will happen uncontrollably.

I know! I was totally shocked.
As you should be. I'd hate to say call there CS, but may not be a bad thing to do?? they may swap the door out. If its a high temp coating (as it should be), Id be curious to what it's rated to now.

As you should be. I'd hate to say call there CS, but may not be a bad thing to do?? they may swap the door out. If its a high temp coating (as it should be), Id be curious to what it's rated to now.

Hey, I have an update! I wasn't going to send an email to Rec Tec, But on your suggestion, I decided, What the Hell. I didn't ask for any replacement parts, nothing. I just wanted them to know.

Here is what I sent them.

Hello,
I purchased my RT-700 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Fabulous product! But I had a question about the finish of the paint on the front door.

OK, a little info. The previous evening I cooked three 80/20 burgers and three Hasselback potatoes. On the potatoes I used about a stick of butter and some olive oil. So yes, the foiled drip pan did have one cook on it since the last cleaning. The next night, which was last night, I cranked up the temperature for a Pizza cook, and while heating up, I noticed excessive smoke at the 400 degree range, and when I opened it up, there was a grease fire on the left side. I shut down the grill, put out the fire, and this is what happened to the paint.

I was very surprised, as I've had grease fires plenty of times over the years on a lesser quality grill, a Weber gasser. And the Weber appears to be able to take a lot more abuse than the Rec Tec. I was shocked. The Weber looks the same, and the Bull doesn't.

I'm not asking for replacement parts, nothing. I am just bummed and wanted to share this background information and these pics, as I assumed that the Bull could take this mis-hap. Is the paint not rated to a higher temp? The grease fire did not last long as I was right there attending to it.

Thanks for your time.

By the way, I let the Bull cool, changed out the foil on the drip pan, and re-started the grill. And cooked a Killer Pizza last night.

Thanks,

I received an INSTANT response from Chef Greg. He said he would send out a replacement lid, no questions asked........

How about that? I'll repeat what many of you have already stated. Killer Customer Service!

thats how they roll! and why we love them. think how wonderful the world would be is all companies operated like Rec Tec.

Hey, I have an update! I wasn't going to send an email to Rec Tec, But on your suggestion, I decided, What the Hell. I didn't ask for any replacement parts, nothing. I just wanted them to know.

Here is what I sent them.

Hello,
I purchased my RT-700 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Fabulous product! But I had a question about the finish of the paint on the front door.

OK, a little info. The previous evening I cooked three 80/20 burgers and three Hasselback potatoes. On the potatoes I used about a stick of butter and some olive oil. So yes, the foiled drip pan did have one cook on it since the last cleaning. The next night, which was last night, I cranked up the temperature for a Pizza cook, and while heating up, I noticed excessive smoke at the 400 degree range, and when I opened it up, there was a grease fire on the left side. I shut down the grill, put out the fire, and this is what happened to the paint.

I was very surprised, as I've had grease fires plenty of times over the years on a lesser quality grill, a Weber gasser. And the Weber appears to be able to take a lot more abuse than the Rec Tec. I was shocked. The Weber looks the same, and the Bull doesn't.

I'm not asking for replacement parts, nothing. I am just bummed and wanted to share this background information and these pics, as I assumed that the Bull could take this mis-hap. Is the paint not rated to a higher temp? The grease fire did not last long as I was right there attending to it.

Thanks for your time.

By the way, I let the Bull cool, changed out the foil on the drip pan, and re-started the grill. And cooked a Killer Pizza last night.

Thanks,

I received an INSTANT response from Chef Greg. He said he would send out a replacement lid, no questions asked........

How about that? I'll repeat what many of you have already stated. Killer Customer Service!
Thats good, I'm glad your not stuck with the bubbly lid! glad you sent the email, and they made it right! Professionalism always pays off in the end. Well done!

Rec Tec customer service is the best of the best!!!

Wow! Sorry that happened to you but thank you for posting. Your post may save some of us from the same issue by encouraging us to keep our drip pan cleaned.

The response from RECTEC was awesome though.

I deep clean mine above 550 until all smoke stops. Maybe just a flaw in the paint. Definitely not normal.

Thanks for the post! My dad is bugging me to buy a second smoker (smaller one) to put up at our hunting property/cabin. I thought about trying a Grilla (even though i love my Bull). This seals it for me... Buying a second RecTec.

Hi, look what happened to the lid of my Bull. I ramped up the temp, and while it was warming up, I had a grease fire on the left side of the grill. I shut it down and let it cool. Everything appears ok, but the lid paint is bubbled. WTF. My ancient Weber gasser withstands more abuse than that. But everything and everyone is fine. A little bummed, but I'll survive.

View attachment 3103View attachment 3104View attachment 3107
That almost happened to me. I caught it just in time. I was lazy and didn't clean even though I thought I should. I figured one more cook, then I'll clean. I learned my lesson. I clean after a greasy cook or I just think I need to. Sorry to see your lid but how great is customer service, no questions asked. It's like LL Bean used to be before they changed their policy. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back