RT-1250 Got my 1250 today...I think Estes driver was not too thrilled about delivering my package

eric_jk

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Got my RT-1250 today and the whole wrap job on holding the pellets on top of the grill was destroyed. When the freight driver brought it into my garage, a bag fell off and exploded everywhere. There were also several bags that were torn with exposed pellets. Fortunately the grill doesn't seem damaged. I reached out to Recteq and they told me it's likely a cosmetic issue and they can RMA my grill. I'm 100% certain they didn't bother reading my email. I guess the next step is to call in and talk to a real person.
IMG_5186.jpg

Sorry to say, but that is a lousy job of packaging. No wonder things came apart. Recteq needs to start looking at stuff like this; it isn’t the freight hauler’s fault that loose bags of pellets get torn open. They should have been in a box too. Sadly, everyone is cutting corners these days and this is one of the results.

I've gotten a lot of LTL freight shipments over the years that were much larger than this and this is definitely one of the worst packaging jobs that I can recall. Easily avoidable if they spent just a little more time securing things. They also didn't secure the box to the pallet, which could have easily been a disaster during transit.

After assembling my grill, I noticed that the grommet where the RTD wire feeds through the cook chamber was missing, which creates a pretty big gap for smoke.

I'm pleased to report back that after calling in, recteq is sending me two new bags of pellets, replacement grommet, and gave me an accessory of my choice for my troubles unprompted. Pretty pleased with how they handled this.

After assembling my grill, I noticed that the grommet where the RTD wire feeds through the cook chamber was missing, which creates a pretty big gap for smoke.

I'm pleased to report back that after calling in, recteq is sending me two new bags of pellets, replacement grommet, and gave me an accessory of my choice for my troubles unprompted. Pretty pleased with how they handled this.
That’s one of the reasons I bought a smoker from them. Good customer service is a rare thing these day’s. I need to call them about a spatula that I didn’t get with the seer kit I purchased.

Good deal, glad that was handled well. You deserved it.

So just curious…do you throw away the pellets that are in the torn and exploded bags? Or just collect them in buckets and use them? I know my wife would say they may be “contaminated” and toss them. But seems like at least the one that fell off and broke open in your garage would still be useable? (I still think Recteq should replace them, but just wondering if people treat opened pellet bags like an opened food package).

So just curious…do you throw away the pellets that are in the torn and exploded bags? Or just collect them in buckets and use them? I know my wife would say they may be “contaminated” and toss them. But seems like at least the one that fell off and broke open in your garage would still be useable? (I still think Recteq should replace them, but just wondering if people treat opened pellet bags like an opened food package).
As long as they are dry and not sitting in something bad like oil, I would go with some version of the five second rule.

I ended up using the pellets on the ground for the burn in process

Hey Eric, are you talking about a grommet that’s in the barrel right underneath the probe sensor? Or are you talking about the grommet in the side shelf? I just assembled my 1250 and I also have no grommet in the actual cook chamber, just a hole. I did have to feed the wires through a grommet in the side shelf. On the YouTube video of the 1250 assembly, there isn’t a grommet in the barrel either, just like mine. The actual assembly directions don’t mention a grommet there either, only the grommet in the side shelf. I’m now curious if mine is supposed to have one.

Mine didn’t have a grommet at all. Just a hole drilled through the cook chamber, but my son’s had a metal grommet with a polished surface. I’m going to just put a little tv in mine and call it good.

Hey Eric, are you talking about a grommet that’s in the barrel right underneath the probe sensor? Or are you talking about the grommet in the side shelf? I just assembled my 1250 and I also have no grommet in the actual cook chamber, just a hole. I did have to feed the wires through a grommet in the side shelf. On the YouTube video of the 1250 assembly, there isn’t a grommet in the barrel either, just like mine. The actual assembly directions don’t mention a grommet there either, only the grommet in the side shelf. I’m now curious if mine is supposed to have one.
Hmm, you’re right. I just rewatched the assembly video and there isn’t a rubber grommet. I must have gotten it confused with the one that goes through the side shelf. I was getting pretty frustrated with assembly though.

Hmm, you’re right. I just rewatched the assembly video and there isn’t a rubber grommet. I must have gotten it confused with the one that goes through the side shelf. I was getting pretty frustrated with assembly though.
Yea I kind of felt the same way! Seems like the grommet would be more effective on the actual cook chamber side vs the shelf, but at least you know that yours isn’t missing anything 👍

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back