Gigantic Pastrami!

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I've made Pastrami from scratch and it was great, a tad salty but very good for my first time out. However, at Restaurant Depot, they had Blarney Stone Corned Beef Brisket (in the box). It weighed in a 22.05 lbs. By far the largest chunk of meat I have ever come into contact with. I trimmed it and decided based on the structure of the brisket, I would remove the point and cook that separately. There was this other odd piece that I just simply removed. It was attached with a fat. Not sure what it is.
I took about 3 pounds of hard fat off of it and now all three pieces are desalinating. I just wanted to share because it was a real fun trim! These should be very interesting to cook. I hope I can get everything on my 590!

Currently I am 5 hours into my short ribs! Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• pastrami1 (2).jpg
    pastrami1 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • Pastrami2 (2).jpg
    Pastrami2 (2).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • Pastrami3.jpg
    Pastrami3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
  • Short Ribs 2.jpg
    Short Ribs 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 91
That is one solid slab of Brisket. That's going to be a fun cook. Remember, no photos means it didn't happen☺. Those ribs look great too!

That is one solid slab of Brisket. That's going to be a fun cook. Remember, no photos means it didn't happen☺. Those ribs look great too!
I promise photos.

Just wrapped the two short rib plates. My first time doing this so I hope in the end they come out like they're supposed to.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_170629.jpg
    IMG_20200507_170629.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200507_170725.jpg
    IMG_20200507_170725.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 81
If they taste anywhere close to how they look, eating them may be dangerous. Your tongue is gonna slap your brains out! :giggle:

I promise photos.

Just wrapped the two short rib plates. My first time doing this so I hope in the end they come out like they're supposed to.

If you like the taste of them, then that's the only thing that matters..

Definitely a long cook! 11 hours in all including resting. They were delicious and moist, much to my surprise after such a long time. From all the video's I have watched on these ribs, they look right. What I am not sure of is the texture. The probe went in very easy. With that, I would have thought that they would be fall off the bone type of tender, kind of like a pork butt before it's pulled. That was not the case. I could pull the bone out, but it did not fall out like I have seem in videos. Is it supposed to fall out? Mine also had a bite to it which was nice. No tugging at the meat at all, just a pleasant texture of a bite if that makes sense.

Having never eaten these, I had no idea what to expect from texture.

One thing I did do is after it rested, I felt like it was not as "buttery" as it was when it came off the grill prior to resting in a towel in the cooler. So I put it into a 250 oven for an hour. I don't think it changed anything. But should I have done that? My cooking sense tells me that as this rests and the juices redistribute, the meat might not have that soft butter feel with the probe. But I am still very new to smoking and still have lots to learn. Which is why I love this forum!

Attachments

• Dino 1.jpg
    Dino 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • Dino 2.jpg
    Dino 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
Definitely a long cook! 11 hours in all including resting. They were delicious and moist, much to my surprise after such a long time. From all the video's I have watched on these ribs, they look right. What I am not sure of is the texture. The probe went in very easy. With that, I would have thought that they would be fall off the bone type of tender, kind of like a pork butt before it's pulled. That was not the case. I could pull the bone out, but it did not fall out like I have seem in videos. Is it supposed to fall out? Mine also had a bite to it which was nice. No tugging at the meat at all, just a pleasant texture of a bite if that makes sense.

Having never eaten these, I had no idea what to expect from texture.

One thing I did do is after it rested, I felt like it was not as "buttery" as it was when it came off the grill prior to resting in a towel in the cooler. So I put it into a 250 oven for an hour. I don't think it changed anything. But should I have done that? My cooking sense tells me that as this rests and the juices redistribute, the meat might not have that soft butter feel with the probe. But I am still very new to smoking and still have lots to learn. Which is why I love this forum!
It is all personal preference, but any competition quality ribs are going to be “toothy”. You want the bone to hold the meat but be able to effortlessly bite through. If the bone slides out, it’s only a few body parts away from pulled pork!

It is all personal preference, but any competition quality ribs are going to be “toothy”. You want the bone to hold the meat but be able to effortlessly bite through. If the bone slides out, it’s only a few body parts away from pulled pork!
Thank you. That's good to know!!

Those look great! I love cooking beef ribs, gotta get some cooking again. My limited experience is that they don't quite get the same as pork ribs in terms of texture but hold a bit former.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back