Stampede Folding front shelf

Made my own but the RecTeq OEM shelf mounts similarly

Attachments

• Shelf Bracket.jpeg
    Shelf Bracket.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 226
@DevilDawg10 the shelf connects using a bolt that also attaches the grill to the legs or comp cart depending which one you have. If you are adding a shelf to an existing grill you’ll need to remove a bolt on each side of the grill then re-install them back through the shelf bracket.

@DevilDawg10 the shelf connects using a bolt that also attaches the grill to the legs or comp cart depending which one you have. If you are adding a shelf to an existing grill you’ll need to remove a bolt on each side of the grill then re-install them back through the shelf bracket.
I have the folding brackets as suggest, however should I only use the single reused bolt from the legs, or drill an entirely new hole to apply a second screw for the bracket itself? (The bolt that is to be re-used from the legs seems larger then the pre-drilled hole in the bracket, so I assume i have to bore that out a bit.

The accessory one from RT rusts as it’s a low quality SS. I had mine covered and mostly under the back patio, but with all of the recent rains, water has found a way in and cause some rusting. Here’s a pic from this morning. I tried to point out the more obvious rust spots. When I took my cover off, water was present on those areas.
A9CC8E97-9E42-4F11-A511-C5AA48258E7A.jpeg

Is it pitting or just surface rust? Barkeepers friend it then see if it pits. If so, then yeah not good. If not it is just superficial.

Is it pitting or just surface rust? Barkeepers friend it then see if it pits. If so, then yeah not good. If not it is just superficial.
It’s just surface rust for now and I know I can clean it before it gets worse, just was surprised after taking the cover off on what I found. I’ll clean it after cooking today and everything is cool. Just expected more for the price!

It’s just surface rust for now and I know I can clean it before it gets worse, just was surprised after taking the cover off on what I found. I’ll clean it after cooking today and everything is cool. Just expected more for the price!
Seems normal to me.

Well, not normal to me. Opinions may vary….
I agree, I don't think it's normal for a stainless shelf to rust that easliy. The stainless grill box isn't rusting, right? The shelf must be very low grade stainless or it had some containments in it during the manufacturing.

It's just surface rust and depending on where you live it is normal. I live near the beach, have an outdoor kitchen with all stainless grills, cabinets, and burners etc. and it is more than normal. If it is rust that is going deep and pitting or ruining the surface then that is a problem. You can cover it and use products to aid in preventing it a little. But stainless will get spots if you live near salt or get water on it and stays on there.

0341a4f3-8da6-41b1-9fc6-1896cdd0d482_1.54bfd40734263d7a61b02aaaf02ddb42.png
Capture.JPG

It's just surface rust and depending on where you live it is normal. I live near the beach, have an outdoor kitchen with all stainless grills, cabinets, and burners etc. and it is more than normal. If it is rust that is going deep and pitting or ruining the surface then that is a problem. You can cover it and use products to aid in preventing it a little. But stainless will get spots if you live near salt or get water on it and stays on there.
Sure it may be normal for lower quality stainless to rust if you live in an area where salt air is getting to the grill, but most of us don't live in a location with salt air, so not normal for many.

BTW, my Weber stainless grill lived at the beach with salt air for 8 years and never had any rust on the stainless, of course it was built with high quality stainless in the USA 🇺🇸 not China 🇨🇳

Sure it may be normal for lower quality stainless to rust if you live in an area where salt air is getting to the grill, but most of us don't live in a location with salt air, so not normal for many.

BTW, my Weber stainless grill lived at the beach with salt air for 8 years and never had any rust on the stainless, of course it was built with high quality stainless in the USA 🇺🇸 not China 🇨🇳
I have a high end fire magic outdoor kitchen. Even they get rust spots. It doesnt just take salt air, many things can cause spots. Stainless steel does not mean completely stainless. It just has a higher resistance to rust. Has nothing to do with USA vs China. Like I said, and the OP said. It is just surface rust. Just clean it and carry on. Even Bob Villa and most other experts will tell you stainless steel does not me rust free.

I have a high end fire magic outdoor kitchen. Even they get rust spots. It doesnt just take salt air, many things can cause spots. Stainless steel does not mean completely stainless. It just has a higher resistance to rust. Has nothing to do with USA vs China. Like I said, and the OP said. It is just surface rust. Just clean it and carry on. Even Bob Villa and most other experts will tell you stainless steel does not me rust free.
I'm well aware of the metallurgy of stainless steel since we purchase a ton of it for our fabrication. Not all stainless is the same, there are many series of stainless steel used for various applications. Some is very corrosion resistance(T316) and some less resistant(201). Put a magnet on your equipment and see if it sticks. The higher the Ni the less a magnet will stick if at and the more corrosion resistant which also increases cost. My Weber is made from non-magnetic stainless and has never shown any rust, even being exposed to salt air. China is not know for producing the highest quality stainless, sometimes impurities make it into the product. Japan and the USA are known for producing high quality stainless.

What series of stainless is your high end fire magic made of?

BTW, I would not listen to Bob Villa as an expert for stainless steel knowledge :ROFLMAO:

No, clue what it is made of. It is US built and it gets spots ocassionally. I think the overall expectation of stainless steel is a bit high. When in reality most stainless steel is prone to slight rust stains. RecTec is not super high end in my opinion. However, like I said I live right on the coast, walking distance to the surf, and I am pounded with northeast and southeast winds that carry the salt. The rec tec holds up as well as my higher end fire magic gear. Even the little tray. However, I do have to maintain it. because I guarantee that anything you throw in my yard without a cover and maintenance will get surface rust stains. I don't care how high the quality of stainless is. Even my boat gets an occasional surface rust stain here or there. Just clean it off....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back