First Time Using The RecTec Stampede Grill

Cokeman

I ordered a Stampede and am now waiting. I have been looking at recipes trying to decide what to try first. What was your first cook and what do you recommend for me to try?

For me it was St Louis ribs. I did the 3-2-1 method. I stayed with pork ribs and pork butts for a while to learn the grill before I ventured into briskets etc. you will love the Rec Tec it makes bbq’n so much easier

My first cook was 3 whole chickens cut up into 24 pcs. and I spread them through out the entire grill, front to back and side to side at 425deg F. It's suggested by REC TEC to cook something fairly fatty for your first cook to "season" your grill.

You'll get a lot of different "opinions" here on whether or not that's needed/necessary. Be that as it may chicken grease splashed all over the inside of my Bull, even dripping from the closed lid. So, as far as seasoning goes my mission was accomplished.

I not a believer the grill needs a greasy messy first cook, maybe so on the older steel versions but not on the stainless steel ones. First cook for me was the 3-2-1 ribs came out ok but don't use this method for cooking ribs anymore. Next cook was a pork shoulder an my first overnight cook this came out great and was very easy to do because of how the RecTec grills work. The grill will get seasoned and better with eash use.

Last edited:
@Cokeman congrats on your new Rec Tec Stampede grill.

For the first cook I would recommend throwing some bacon on there for seasoning, then head over to our Recipes section for tons of good ideas on what to cook. :)

Bacon! Because...well...bacon. ?
Takes care of that first fatty cook, and by spreading it out you can start figuring out any hotspots. And you get to eat bacon when you're done. After that, cool it down and get ready to cook whatever else you want.
IMG_20200111_102040.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back