Stampede First pellet grill and thrilled! Also first post

stewartad1

Hi Everyone,

BLUF: Bought a Stampede and couldn’t be happier!

40yrs old and I’m new to smokers in general, all my outdoor cooking experience is on a gas grill. I recently bought a pit boss combo, cooked on it twice and returned it; was unimpressed with the build quality, space within the doors to access the food, and lack of holding temperatures. A friend of mine gave me use his 5-10 year old traeger, unimpressed with its outdated controller, gave it back (LOL). So then I went on the hunt, choices came down to camp chef XXL, grilla grill silverback AT, Yoder 480, blazon grill, and rec teq stampede.

I decided on the stampede, much due to this forum and couldn’t be more pleased! I ordered it on Thursday and had it on Monday (I live in TN so not far from GA where it shipped from). Easy to assemble, high quality materials, the temperature holding is outstanding, love the ability to use WiFi (note they could make some improvements to the app but this is no where near enough to sway me away from rec teq, ambient temp is within 3deg of my ThermoWorks signal.

If I could do it over, only thing I’d change is order the grill grates up front to avoid multiple shipping charges and get it all quicker (and I hear save 20% on accessories on initial purchase, they don’t advertise that well).

One cook on it soo far, bacon wrapped jalapeños and cheese stuffed chicken breast. It had good flavor but I started out too low (375 deg) so the chicken was done before the bacon. Next time I’ll cook it at 450 the entire time.

Near term cooks planned:
-burgers (on grill grates)

-reverse seared ribeye (this is the one I’m most excited about, will be my first reverse seared steak, topped with first on a pellet grill!!!)

-baby back ribs

-papa Murphy’s pizza

Future buys/mods:
-Random cheapo grill cover
-DIY front shelf out of wood
-DIY upgraded wheel mod if I can find info for the stampede (lots of info on the bull)

If you’re on the fence, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, get a Rec Teq!

This is a great forum, lots of great information and recipes. Thanks to all contributors.

Welcome and congratulations! You will love your grill and you will love cooking on it. This is a wonderful Forum of well-informed people who share the same passion.

Welcome to the forum and the Rec Teq family! It’s a lot of fun trying new cooks and some old cooks new ways. Enjoy!

Oh yeah! I already have the brackets in from Amazon, just waiting on my 13yr old to design/cut me some wood on his CNC machine. Also not sure I absolutely need some upgraded wheels, I dont plan on rolling it around a lot, but hey, why not, LOL. I do want to carry it with me to friends and family for cookouts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back