First Cook Thighs a Little Disappointing

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just checking back in...
...Ok, so I finally got around to the 0°-400° method for chicken. I actually went 0-425. I dried and seasoned my checked legs. Did not add baking powder. And flipped every 30minutes.
I even accidentally went over on my internal temp, but they were still super juicy on the inside. As far as skin, which is the main purpose, it turned out 100% edible not rubber at all. I wouldn't call it "cripsy" persay, but it definitely works. I'll either do 450° next time or more than likely, add some baking powder to go for a full crisp version.

Roaniecowpony

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
If pursuing crisp chicken skin using just the RT is the goal, possibly some experimentation to find high temperatures of pellet wood types is worthwhile.

hallsofmontezuma

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just checking back in...
...Ok, so I finally got around to the 0°-400° method for chicken. I actually went 0-425. I dried and seasoned my checked legs. Did not add baking powder. And flipped every 30minutes.
I even accidentally went over on my internal temp, but they were still super juicy on the inside. As far as skin, which is the main purpose, it turned out 100% edible not rubber at all. I wouldn't call it "cripsy" persay, but it definitely works. I'll either do 450° next time or more than likely, add some baking powder to go for a full crisp version.
What I've found works best during cooking is to smoke them at ~225 for about an hour, then REMOVE them from the grill while it heats up to 450 (or higher, since it will lose heat when you put them back on). Once it gets hot, put the thighs back on the grill. Otherwise, they're cooked by the time you get up to a decent temp.

PCH

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Okay...here you go. The wife wasn't convinced this method would work so I she let me try it with two thighs our of ten. The other eight I grilled on the charcoal grill. As suggested, I smoked them at 225 for an hour and then turned the heat up to 450. The results are in the attached pictures.

They turned out pretty good. The skin wasn't leathery (wife's description), it was somewhat crispy. She said if she was served this in a restaurant, she would be happy with it.

I might try a little less time on the smoke next time and higher temperature. There was still a layer of fat under the skin that could be rendered with more time at a higher temperature.

Thanks for the advice!

IMG_1151.JPG IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1149.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.