First cook -temp fluctuations

JustCher523

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
Just put together my RT340

Dialed in my 400 degree burn by having to set min feed rate to 5%

After an hour I removed grate and drip pan to put foil on it. Put everything back in place and closed lid. Temp got down to 340.

Once temp got back to 400 I put my chicken thighs on grill. Now the temp keeps going up even hit 420, so I go outside and lift the lid a little bit, till it comes back down.

Right now my min feed rate is 4%

Just wondering if I am on the right track.

Oh and it is currently 43 degrees outside.

Thanks!

Just put together my RT340

Dialed in my 400 degree burn by having to set min feed rate to 5%

After an hour I removed grate and drip pan to put foil on it. Put everything back in place and closed lid. Temp got down to 340.

Once temp got back to 400 I put my chicken thighs on grill. Now the temp keeps going up even hit 420, so I go outside and lift the lid a little bit, till it comes back down.

Right now my min feed rate is 4%

Just wondering if I am on the right track.

Oh and it is currently 43 degrees outside.

Thanks!
Feed rate is for low temp.

Defiantly reach out to Recteq support.. they might question pellets or you. I had similar issues on my Bull and they blamed me for opening the lid. I essentially gave up for the poor excuse which is what they want.

I would watch it for a cook or two and see if that continues. If it does contact RT. Keep in mind every time you open the lid the grill will overshoot a little trying to get back to temp. It can take a little time to come back down to set temp.

Defiantly reach out to Recteq support.. they might question pellets or you. I had similar issues on my Bull and they blamed me for opening the lid. I essentially gave up for the poor excuse which is what they want.
So it's your fault their grill won't keep temp?

It takes a while for a grill to stabilize at higher temperatures after being open for any significant period of time. That’s especially true when the outside temperature is fairly low (like 43 degrees); even more so if there’s a breeze blowing.

I wouldn’t worry too much about an initial 20-degree overshoot. Once the grill gets fully heated, it should stabilize at the set temperature…unless you have a significant breeze blowing. That will rob heat and result in an up-and-down temperature swing.

I would watch it for a cook or two and see if that continues. If it does contact RT. Keep in mind every time you open the lid the grill will overshoot a little trying to get back to temp. It can take a little time to come back down to set temp.
Thanks you for the response. After that first overshoot it did settle back into the 400 range plus or minus 5 degrees. The thighs turned out amazing!! Next up Chuck Roast!

It takes a while for a grill to stabilize at higher temperatures after being open for any significant period of time. That’s especially true when the outside temperature is fairly low (like 43 degrees); even more so if there’s a breeze blowing.

I wouldn’t worry too much about an initial 20-degree overshoot. Once the grill gets fully heated, it should stabilize at the set temperature…unless you have a significant breeze blowing. That will rob heat and result in an up-and-down temperature swing.
That is exactly what happened. Thank you for your response! That is good to know about the wind...there was a pretty hefty northern breeze this afternoon. ;)

Yup.. seems like it was all my fault for using the grill as intended :).
Ha! Yeah I was pretty peeved that "right out of the box" I had to mess with the Min Feed Rate to even get it up to 400 burn off temp. You would think it would have come at a feed rate to get to that temp. Live and learn I guess.

Ha! Yeah I was pretty peeved that "right out of the box" I had to mess with the Min Feed Rate to even get it up to 400 burn off temp. You would think it would have come at a feed rate to get to that temp. Live and learn I guess.
That Min Feed Rate will matter only when trying to run low temperatures on a hot day. Think like 225 and below when it is 90+ outside. For what you just did, it would not be a factor at all.

i would recommend setting minimum feed rate back to stock. it only effects the minimum the auger can feed pellets. if its set to hi you will have a hard time hitting low temps or coming back down from an overshoot. the faster you can close the lid the better for stability. keep cooking you will get the hang of it and learn its behaviors. welcome to the forum bud

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrzBBQ
Back