Bull First Cook on The Bull - Initial Thoughts

Ruwallydog

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
As some of you are aware I have been a Stick Burner guy for years and finally got into the pellet game this past week when my Bull arrived on Friday. Being originally from Texas, then Arizona and now Illinois I have maintained my love of BBQ but my interest in smoking in the cold, wind, and snow has waned. Did a ton of research and pulled the trigger on the Rec Tec in attempt to give me the ability to enjoy the food I love year-round without the hassle of my Yoder.

First Cook:
15 lb Brisket Fully Trimmed - Rub: Kosher Salt, Pepper, Onion & Garlic Powder, and McCormick Steak seasoning (Lightly) to finish
3 Slabs of Ribs 3-2-1 method - Traditional pork rub

Put the brisket on at midnight Saturday night at the lowest (smoke) setting using Lumberjack Competition Blend Pellets. At 9:30 Sunday morning the brisket was probing around 140 so I increased the temp to 210 and it took another hour or so to reach an internal temp of 150 degrees. So performed the "TX Crutch" and wrapped in foil increasing temp to 225. Hit target temp of 201-202 degrees about 3:00 pm Sunday afternoon.

EASILY the best brisket I have ever made...and I have cooked hundreds and at the time I thought they were great...but the bar has now officially been raised. Smoke ring and smoke flavor were on the mark, and neither the family or myself noticed a discernible difference whatsoever.

Bad news: Ribs sucked. My fault. Had probe issues and I ended up rushing at the end. I know better, but still irritated at myself. Will try to redeem myself with a few slabs here in the next couple weeks.

General Observations:

Rec-Tec is Solid and will be a great performer for years to come. Trust is a big thing in cooking and I spent waaay to much time checking probes, opening the cooker, etc. but should have that sorted out soon enough.

APP is great! I was aware of its limitations in advance, thanks to you guys, but no alerts and did have to reconnect twice to continue to get updates on the probe data. Being able to wake-up Sunday morning and check on the grill from bed!! Now that's a good thing in my opinion.

Pellets: Long cook, but damn near went through 30 pounds of pellets. I have no basis for comparison so not sure what to expect in that regard. No complaints...comparatively speaking they are cheap.

What did I miss: Rec-Tec did feel a bit cramped compared to the Yoder, and would love to see a pull (slide) out shelf for temp checks, spritzing, etc. I used the upper shelf for the brisket once it was wrapped, with the thee slabs on the main grate. Worked ok, but being removable it tends to slide around when positioning, etc. which I need to figure out a solution for next time.

What's next: Going to do another check on the probes and chamber for accuracy and adjust as necessary. My probes are both measuring about 7 degrees under the ThermoPen but the chamber temp seems to fine but will verify all just to be sure. Pork butt goes on Friday!

Really appreciate the support and insight from the forum. Thank You!

-Kurt

As some of you are aware I have been a Stick Burner guy for years and finally got into the pellet game this past week when my Bull arrived on Friday. Being originally from Texas, then Arizona and now Illinois I have maintained my love of BBQ but my interest in smoking in the cold, wind, and snow has waned. Did a ton of research and pulled the trigger on the Rec Tec in attempt to give me the ability to enjoy the food I love year-round without the hassle of my Yoder.

First Cook:
15 lb Brisket Fully Trimmed - Rub: Kosher Salt, Pepper, Onion & Garlic Powder, and McCormick Steak seasoning (Lightly) to finish

Put the brisket on at midnight Saturday night at the lowest (smoke) setting using Lumberjack Competition Blend Pellets. At 9:30 Sunday morning the brisket was probing around 140 so I increased the temp to 210 and it took another hour or so to reach an internal temp of 150 degrees. So performed the "TX Crutch" and wrapped in foil increasing temp to 225. Hit target temp of 201-202 degrees about 3:00 pm Sunday afternoon.

EASILY the best brisket I have ever made...and I have cooked hundreds and at the time I thought they were great...but the bar has now officially been raised. Smoke ring and smoke flavor were on the mark, and neither the family or myself noticed a discernible difference whatsoever.

Bad news: Ribs sucked. My fault. Had probe issues and I ended up rushing at the end. I know better, but still irritated at myself. Will try to redeem myself with a few slabs here in the next couple weeks.

General Observations:

Rec-Tec is Solid and will be a great performer for years to come. Trust is a big thing in cooking and I spent waaay to much time checking probes, opening the cooker, etc. but should have that sorted out soon enough.

APP is great! I was aware of its limitations in advance, thanks to you guys, but no alerts and did have to reconnect twice to continue to get updates on the probe data. Being able to wake-up Sunday morning and check on the grill from bed!! Now that's a good thing in my opinion.

Pellets: Long cook, but damn near went through 30 pounds of pellets. I have no basis for comparison so not sure what to expect in that regard. No complaints...comparatively speaking they are cheap.

What did I miss: Rec-Tec did feel a bit cramped compared to the Yoder, and would love to see a pull (slide) out shelf for temp checks, spritzing, etc. I used the upper shelf for the brisket once it was wrapped, with the thee slabs on the main grate. Worked ok, but being removable it tends to slide around when positioning, etc. which I need to figure out a solution for next time.

What's next: Going to do another check on the probes and chamber for accuracy and adjust as necessary. My probes are both measuring about 7 degrees under the ThermoPen but the chamber temp seems to fine but will verify all just to be sure. Pork butt goes on Friday!

-Kurt
I was also a stick burner guy for most off my BBQ life. The pellet thing is totally different. I just finished 123a beef ribs. Amazing. It a great machine with a slight learning curve. Great BBQ. Have fun.

What do you guys recommend for probe insertion/temp checking on final phase of ribs. I struggled with final phase in first try this weekend.

Thanks for the brisket method you showed gonna try that when I do my first brisket.

For St. Louis style I have found that 193-196 produces a great bit off the bone finished product. I agree w Gotbbq on Baby backs, those are more on feel. I do prefer a clean bite off the bone rib vs a fall off bone rib, so that will make a difference in final temp depending on your preference . I know all have their own thoughts on that.

For St. Louis style I have found that 193-196 produces a great bit off the bone finished product. I agree w Gotbbq on Baby backs, those are more on feel. I do prefer a clean bite off the bone rib vs a fall off bone rib, so that will make a difference in final temp depending on your preference . I know all have their own thoughts on that.
I'm glad someone agrees with me. Let my wife know ??

Thanks. I was not trusting my probe temp on St Louis cut. Ended poking with a tooth pick and pulled the ribs off. I guess I need to experiment more?

Thanks. I was not trusting my probe temp on St Louis cut. Ended poking with a tooth pick and pulled the ribs off. I guess I need to experiment more?
BBQ is the original experiment! That's why we have to keep doing it, over and
over. ?? Lounge chair, beverage, maybe a good cigar. It's tough work but someone has to do it

Kurt,
Welcome aboard! I've only been a pellet head since December, but I'm definitely not interested in running my stick burner anymore. I still have a couple komado types and a gasser, but any long cook BBQ goes on the RecTec. That 30lbs of pellets sounds high, but could be because outside temps were low??

Last edited:

I do ribs by a combination of time/temp, look, feel (tug). I suppose some are meaty enough for a probe or instant read thermometer tip. But regardless, tender is as tender does. When the bones start showing about 3/8" out the ends, I start checking tenderness.

First Cook:

General Observations:

-Kurt
Welcome Kurt. It’s great to hear your review knowing you are a long time BBQ enthusiast.
Keep ‘em coming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddegreve
Back