First brisket

Newbbqguy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
My first try and seemed to be a success, everyone loved it! I just seasoned with the heffer dust and was delicious.

Attachments

• 20210822_111525.jpg
    20210822_111525.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 311
  • 20210822_111026.jpg
    20210822_111026.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 103
  • 20210821_193654.jpg
    20210821_193654.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 102
Man,nice smoke ring and nice bark! You got it right on the first try,well done!

Thanks. I put it on at 8pm set at 200 let it ride til 6am then upped temp to 275 til it got to 165 wrapped it with peach paper. It probed tender at 207.
Dang, that thing sure looks good!! Did you use a water pan/tray with it going overnight?

On my last brisket I didn't use a water pan either, mainly because there is no good place for in on a 590, and I don't think it made any difference on the moisture.

I thought I could put a pan on the "second shelf" Rec Teq sells, but the legs of the shelf are not wide enough to accommodate a large brisket. I am not too sure how useful this shelf is at all.

This brings me to the basic question about water pans.

I see that Franklin puts one on the "hot" side of his stick burner which I can see would make some sense; however, I wonder if pellet smokers/grills need a pan. One of the combustion products of wood is H2O and if one dry brines the brisket the top layers of the meat are somewhat sealed. One side of my brain says the forced air in a pellet smoker would dry out the meat more than a stick burner, and the other side says due to the heat in a stick burner burn box a pan would be needed more.

I know. I know. I am overthinking this.

TD

On my last brisket I didn't use a water pan either, mainly because there is no good place for in on a 590, and I don't think it made any difference on the moisture.

I thought I could put a pan on the "second shelf" Rec Teq sells, but the legs of the shelf are not wide enough to accommodate a large brisket. I am not too sure how useful this shelf is at all.

This brings me to the basic question about water pans.

I see that Franklin puts one on the "hot" side of his stick burner which I can see would make some sense; however, I wonder if pellet smokers/grills need a pan. One of the combustion products of wood is H2O and if one dry brines the brisket the top layers of the meat are somewhat sealed. One side of my brain says the forced air in a pellet smoker would dry out the meat more than a stick burner, and the other side says due to the heat in a stick burner burn box a pan would be needed more.

I know. I know. I am overthinking this.

TD
I have tried with and without. IMHO there was no notable difference.

I have tried with and without. IMHO there was no notable difference.
I have never used a water pan in my Recteq. I do not believe they are needed. Several folks have previously commented that the pan does not provide a moisture benefit. I'm no expert on that topic.

I never noticed a difference and have been told the meat doesn't absorb the moisture so I gave up on using. People do use water pans to help control temperature tho.

Looks great. Haven’t tried one yet on my new 700. Question. After upping the temp to 275 how long did it take to get the brisket to 207?

Looks great.

I was trying to finish my last brisket before it went bad when I
came up with serving 1/2" thick slices on thick pan fried cheese toast. I had also whipped up an au jus with broth ,rub, etc. and bit of it on the open faced brisket-wich to moisten it. My wife really liked it too. Give it a try.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobondur
Back