First Brisket on the Bull

Eleuthros1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Well this cook will be a couple of firsts for me. I've done flats on my medium BGE but due to space limitations I couldn't smoke even the smallest whole briskets. So it's exciting to be able to easily accommodate this whole brisket. And obviously it's the first Brisket on my Bull. I'm looking forward to mastering the brisket.

And the light is GREAT!

Attachments

• 20200606_232213.jpg
    20200606_232213.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
Well this cook will be a couple of firsts for me. I've done flats on my medium BGE but due to space limitations I couldn't smoke even the smallest whole briskets. So it's exciting to be able to easily accommodate this whole brisket. And obviously it's the first Brisket on my Bull. I'm looking forward to mastering the brisket.

And the light is GREAT!
Plenty of room for multiple Briskets. It sounds like you're really working your new Bull! Practice make perfect alright,

I like the light too. I try to stay on top of cleaning the lens, every several cooks or as needed. If you don't it becomes rather difficult to remove the grease/smoke residue later........possible but difficult. Just make sure the grill is cold when you clean the lens. Plenty of good info in other threads on cleaning the outside of your Bull with Bar Keepers Friend, etc. if you're inclined.

And the light is GREAT!
Not wanting to open a can of worms, you might want to consider sealing your lid. It helps keep smoke/grease from staining the top of the barrel. The light is good for the first few cooks and then gets to be a little hassle to clean, although i clean mine frequently. You will love the bull its a great and easy smoker. As far as mastering the whole brisket- It’s like JEDI training, never sure its complete. Always exciting. ??

Plenty of room for multiple Briskets. It sounds like you're really working your new Bull! Practice make perfect alright,

I like the light too. I try to stay on top of cleaning the lens, every several cooks or as needed. If you don't it becomes rather difficult to remove the grease/smoke residue later........possible but difficult. Just make sure the grill is cold when you clean the lens. Plenty of good info in other threads on cleaning the outside of your Bull with Bar Keepers Friend, etc. if you're inclined.
Some of what I'm cooking this weekend is just because I finally CAN cook like this. I'll probably do a cleaning on it some time this week. Thanks for the tip on Bar Keepers Friend. I'll search for the cleaning tips. Great forum!

Not wanting to open a can of worms, you might want to consider sealing your lid. It helps keep smoke/grease from staining the top of the barrel. The light is good for the first few cooks and then gets to be a little hassle to clean, although i clean mine frequently. You will love the bull its a great and easy smoker. As far as mastering the whole brisket- It’s like JEDI training, never sure its complete. Always exciting. ??
What do you use to seal the lid?

Any gasket products like for the Big Green Egg. I used lavalock 12 grey high performance bbq gasket smoker sealer.
LavaLock 12 Grey High performance bbq gasket smoker sealer.

It’s self stick. Available on Amazon. Good product. ??

There ar
Any gasket products like for the Big Green Egg. I used lavalock 12 grey high performance bbq gasket smoker sealer. ??
Any gasket products like for the Big Green Egg. I used lavalock 12 grey high performance bbq gasket smoker sealer.
LavaLock 12 Grey High performance bbq gasket smoker sealer.

It’s self stick. Available on Amazon. Good product. ??
LavaLock 12 Grey High Performance... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9FE60K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Theres also Fire Black works great and blends into the lid nicely one packageis more than enough to do the lid and have some for replacement if needed. I only sealed the upper and lower portions of the lid and those areas stay a lot cleaner.
Screenshot_20200502-061727_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Theres also Fire Black works great and blends into the lid nicely one packageis more than enough to do the lid and have some for replacement if needed. I only sealed the upper and lower portions of the lid and those areas stay a lot cleaner.View attachment 4647
I've used the other one on my BGE and it's held up well. It has no problem with temps much higher than the Bull can get to. Does one package of FireBlack do the whole lid?

Yes. You can do the lid AND the hopper. Seal the hopper to keep out moisture although not sure it is needed makes the lid close quietly! Might as well use up all the gasket material. ??
I don't recommend sealing the hopper if anything it will keep the condensation inside it as it goes through the heat cycles.

I don't recommend sealing the hopper if anything it will keep the condensation inside it as it goes through the heat cycles.
I hadn't thought about that but that's a good point. Especially here in Georgia where it's almost always high humidity. Not sure how much the hopper breathes as is.

15 hours into this brisket. I.T. just hit 195 so I probe tested it. The point is like warm butter, the flat is slightly firmer, but it's pretty darn tender too. It's getting close now.

I hadn't thought about that but that's a good point. Especially here in Georgia where it's almost always high humidity. Not sure how much the hopper breathes as is.
It's even worse up here in the north east tri state area, we can go from high ambient temperatures with no humidity to high temperatures with crazy high humidity and then it starts to snow and occasionally get a couple of nice days once in a while.

I never did post the final results. I've never had these results with any brisket I've done myself. Just amazing flavor! Pull test, smoke ring, etc. We did come to the conclusion that brisket isn't our favorite cut of meat, but we will do one again in the future.

Looks great. Nice bark. Brisket, the most sensual of all meats, next to pastrami. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back