First Brisket on RT-700: Esrly Stall Issue

jstarnes

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've cooked many briskets and normally the stall hits around 165° and I wrap. Today I'm cooking a 7 lb flat because I couldn't find a packet. Its stalled at 151. Should I wrap and expect a lower finished temp that 200 or should I just be patient and wait until 165 and finish when it probes "done" at 195-203?

There's really no right or wrong from what I gather. A lot of people will wrap at 165 (or some other predetermined temp) or at the stall, whichever comes first. Your doneness temp is likely to be around the same either way, just make sure you are probing it for tenderness instead of going purely off temp.

I dont wrap at all, it just takes longer. So as enzo says, there really is not right or wrong answer. experiment to find out what works for you. Use temp and tenderness to determine when it is ready.

Mine stalled at 151 yesterday. I don't remember when I wrapped in foil but probably around 165. Itook it off at 198 and fork tender.

The short rib, 2" thick 3 bone plates I did a few days ago, ran up to 160 ish in about 5 hours @ 225F and stalled. I was concerned about not finishing for dinner, so I bumped to 275F, left unwrapped (because big beef ribs are all about bark) and pushed them thru the stall quickly. They finished up a few hours later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back