Bull Do different pellets make a big difference?

Tom H.

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have been using the RecTec ultimate blend pellets that came with my RT-700. First off I love this smoker. It's the best I have had.
Now all of our meals have been a solid 8 or 9 but I'm looking for that 10. Not sure if I should should do it with seasonings or a pellet change. What do ya'll think?

You'll get multiple opinions, and since you're dealing with a very subjective matter such as taste they may not sync up with what pleases you, or they may. May not be the answer you're looking for, but experimentation will eventually serve you best.

That being said, the general guideline is; red meats most often work best with hardwoods e.g. Hickory (a wide ranging favorite), maple, various oaks, and for some mesquite. White meats usually pair better with fruitwoods e.g. cherry, apple, and so on, including pecan. You've been using a blend which makes it easy to cover both sides of the spectrum and not have to go through the pellet change mambo (which isn't that difficult, but adds another step to the overall process). Something I've noted on blends, they're not all the same in ratio of hard to fruit woods, so some have a bias one way or the other. As a side note the hardwoods tend to burn a bit hotter which won't harm or confuse the controller, but might end up changing the fan cycle intervals.

Someone will probably comment on using a smoke tube or similar device to tweak the smoke profile. Again, it's an experimentation thing.

Bob has made a great post. If you're looking for brand suggestions, alot of us favor Lumberjack brand. They are 100% wood no filler, and process it themselves. (Not a 3rd party bagger)... You'll find different brands have different amounts of flavor and heat output. My personal opinion, I like a 100% fruit wood 100% single flavor (no blend) coming from a stick burner before RecTec , I also prefer a smoke tube to add more smoke as Bob also mentioned. I've even gone half wood chips half pellets in the tube. Anyways it's all personal opinion of course. What you make like is not what others may like etc etc... But in short, Yes there's a difference in pellets.

Smoked meats are like fine wines. When asked what is the best wine? Well thats the wine "you" like the best. Same holds true for meat or any other flavor profile. I will not reiterate what was said above but will contribute this: Unless you have extensive experience with smoked meat, decide on a pellet and stick with just it for awhile. Just like each brand of pellet effects cooks differently, so does each cut of meat, ingredients you use, time on the grill, outside temps etc. When you are consistently inconsistent in your prep, process and cook. You are going to get lots of different outcomes. So yes, play, experiment and have fun. Just be careful about changing to many variables after just a few cooks.

Very good point. It's like looking for more horsepower in a car, you only change one thing at a time.

I have been able to compare 200 lbs. of Rec Tec Ultimate Blend to 570 lbs. of Lumberjack pellets. I find the RT UB to be all-round very good to cook with on weekdays. They produce a very even heat. I find that the 100% LJ varieties produce more intense smoke flavors.

My briskets and pulled pork are talked about days later, and have been requested more than once by those who have tasted them. LJ 100% mesquite for the brisket and LJ 100% hickory for the pulled pork is part of my secret ingredients. I don't mess with any big box pellets.

I have been using the RecTec ultimate blend pellets that came with my RT-700. First off I love this smoker. It's the best I have had.
Now all of our meals have been a solid 8 or 9 but I'm looking for that 10. Not sure if I should should do it with seasonings or a pellet change. What do ya'll think?

Everybody above is correct.. Just Remember " Its the ART of Smoking and Cooking" Just wright it down so you know where you have been, so you might know where you are going...

I just tried mixing JD charcoal pellets in with some LJ 100% cherry, about a 50/50 mix. I cooked two whole chickens with this mix and WOW, the chickens do have more of a charcoal flavor. I like these JD pellets mixed in.

The two chickens were smoked on the Bull for one hour at 220° and then turned up to 375° for about two more hours. Very tasty and more charcoal smokey like.

Attachments

• JD Pellets.JPG
    JD Pellets.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 78
i have very minimal experience with pellet grill cooking. the rec tec is actually my first foray into wood cooking. i ordered my rec tec with the ultimate blend and the perfect mix. we have found that the rec tec ultimate blend gives a much stronger smoked flavor to the food, while the perfect mix is significantly more subtle. our family/friends has preferences for each. i have decided to mix the 2 together to create a smoke profile somewhere in the middle of the 2 woods. as to the flavor difference, no one can taste it. rather, we taste a stronger or weaker smokiness to the food.

interesting and subjective. i have read alot, maybe too much on this topic. some say there is no difference in taste between pellets. i think it more subtle but there is a difference. I started with cookinpellets, but the taste was quite mild. RT ultimate has been my go to with great success. I want to try LJ hardwood blend. I am lazy maybe but changing pellets sounds like a root canal.

Primarily - quality first or pay the price later. that is what i learned the most from my research.

I'm new to pellet smoking, just having done one brisket, one rib cook, one salmon fillet, and some sausage. But, I noted something over the years I've been bbq'in; my sense of taste has become less sensitive as I've aged. I'm 63 and both my wife and I are eating things with more seasoning and stronger flavors.

Regarding smoke flavors, I can definitely taste a difference when using different woods in my old school smokers, but I smoke pretty heavily in them. The exception to me smoking heavily is mesquite. A little goes a long way for me. 2 hrs @ 225F of mesquite in my komado will put a pronounced smoke ring on tri-tip and impart a strong spicey flavor.

I'm looking forward to trying to get similar results from my Bull.

DSC_3761.JPG

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back