Direct Heat Grill

jstarnes

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have a RT 700 and love it. I have used a PK grill for direct heat for almost 6 years but it is worn out. I am trying to decide whether to stick with a PK or buy a Bulls Eye or something else.. I would like some opinions.

Jim

I am not sure how you define “direct heat” but have you considered a sear burner? If you don’t need a lot of real estate they can be pretty handy, especially if you are using cast iron for quicker side dishes or searing proteins or veggies. The model I have is propane and it can hit 1100F in 5 minutes. It is also quite a space saver if that is an issue. Another option is the Blackstone Tailgater. Not only is it versatile but it packs relatively small for ”away games” and road trips. If this is your selected option, DM me and I have a great hack that will let the temperatures maintain high heats (e.g., ~500F) on the BBQ side with minimal loss of BTUs in high winds.
IMG_7149.jpeg

I have used a PK grill for direct heat for almost 6 years but it is worn out.
I would never dissuade anyone here from buying more outdoor cooking equipment (as I may need you all to return the favor some day), but the PK has a 20 year warranty on the main unit. Sure, you might need to replace grates and ancillary parts along the way, but what's worn out?

I bought a PK last year and I admit it isn't exactly showroom perfect, but it's structurally sound and functional despite a lot of very high heat grilling with lump charcoal and wood chunks. I am considering replacing the grates, etc. thanks to my co-dependency on others here that showed off their various PK add-ons/upgrades.

All said, I totally get it if you're looking for an excuse to upgrade. I doubt I'll last 6 years with my PK or even my Recteq before getting the itch.

I would never dissuade anyone here from buying more outdoor cooking equipment (as I may need you all to return the favor some day), but the PK has a 20 year warranty on the main unit. Sure, you might need to replace grates and ancillary parts along the way, but what's worn out?

I bought a PK last year and I admit it isn't exactly showroom perfect, but it's structurally sound and functional despite a lot of very high heat grilling with lump charcoal and wood chunks. I am considering replacing the grates, etc. thanks to my co-dependency on others here that showed off their various PK add-ons/upgrades.

All said, I totally get it if you're looking for an excuse to upgrade. I doubt I'll last 6 years with my PK or even my Recteq before getting the itch.
Pacman…
In general you are correct and one should pursue any warranty avenues that are offered. A copule of exceptions would include “degradation due to commercial or professional use (whatever that means) and excessive deterioration due to ”harsh environmental/weather” conditions. In many cases, the manufacturer will only offer replacement parts and their limits of liability would be for the initial cost of the item/equipment’s cost (and any perceived depreciation). I have heard many good thing about PK but if you are not the original purchaser, you may also be excluded. In summary, your post is a reminder for us all to remember any warranty terms in our decision making process. Well done!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back