Deconstructed Turkey or ?

Dadbo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
  2. Stampede
Hi, all. Been using the Bullseye a lot lately since getting it and has been working perfectly so far. However my question revolves around my Stampede for thanksgiving. 17 of us this year and I plan to do 2 12-14 birds in the 590, expecting adequate room. Yep, birds will be spatchcocked and I got to thinking. From your collective wisdom, is there any reason not to continue to price out the birds? (All bone in for the cook) Would it matter? My initial reaction is - no, but wiser experience is most helpful. I always did one bird spatchcockEd in the oven with great results and now with this fairly new grill this year, I expect a whole new tradition to begin. Thanks for your wisdom and time.

Not sure what you mean by "Price out the bird" but I like what MeatChurch Matt does; spatchcock and go the extra few steps of removing breast bone and I trim our ribs. If I feel like going extra ill remove the thigh bone but keep the thighs intact. Extra steps allows me to slice right through the thighs while maintaining that skin, and slice right though breast without dealing with keel bone

Thanks, Mozekian, Sorry about that. I meant piece not price out the bird, cut it up into the basic pieces and then smoke them as such. Was wondering with the additional area exposed with all the individual pieces, would the overall smoking/cooking time be shorter than spatchcocking? Deboning is something I have not given thought to.

Thanks, Mozekian, Sorry about that. I meant piece not price out the bird, cut it up into the basic pieces and then smoke them as such. Was wondering with the additional area exposed with all the individual pieces, would the overall smoking/cooking time be shorter than spatchcocking? Deboning is something I have not given thought to.
I think the time difference piecing out vs spatchcock would not be noticeable. A breast with bone in is gonna take the same amount of time on the bird spatchcocked vs on the rack alone.

I love the presentation of the entire bird, either spatchcocked or traditional and I think the skin gets crispier with it intact, as the skin is a little more “stretched” during the cook, helping the crisp. In the end, whatever works for you, works.

I am not a big fan of turkey so I always go way overboard with spatchcock, brine, inject, butter, etc, to keep me interested in a boring bird.

I think the time difference piecing out vs spatchcock would not be noticeable. A breast with bone in is gonna take the same amount of time on the bird spatchcocked vs on the rack alone.

I love the presentation of the entire bird, either spatchcocked or traditional and I think the skin gets crispier with it intact, as the skin is a little more “stretched” during the cook, helping the crisp. In the end, whatever works for you, works.

I am not a big fan of turkey so I always go way overboard with spatchcock, brine, inject, butter, etc, to keep me interested in a boring bird.
Thanks so much for the replies. Your generous comment are most helpful!

I have searched the past posts throughout this site to see if 2 12-14 lb spatchcock turkeys will properly fit in the 590 or is it too small? I suppose I could do one in the Bullseye as a last resort but would prefer to do both in the Stampede. So if anyone has done two birds in theirs, I surly do appreciate the feedback. Thanks all.

I have searched the past posts throughout this site to see if 2 12-14 lb spatchcock turkeys will properly fit in the 590 or is it too small? I suppose I could do one in the Bullseye as a last resort but would prefer to do both in the Stampede. So if anyone has done two birds in theirs, I surly do appreciate the feedback. Thanks all.
Wow, spatchcock seems kind of permanent.
Turkey Dancing GIF

Should have plenty of room for both

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back