Debating an overnight cook

FreakDawg76

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Title Says it all… I’ve got 22 lbs of Boston Butt, and 4.8 lbs of brisket point prepped and ready for the smoker … Can’t decide if I wanna get up at 5am and put it all on or put it all on now… The Low tonight in my part of Ga is 23… never done an overnight cook as yet so im kinda nervous .. lol!
Also, hey yall! Been a minute

Title Says it all… I’ve got 22 lbs of Boston Butt, and 4.8 lbs of brisket point prepped and ready for the smoker … Can’t decide if I wanna get up at 5am and put it all on or put it all on now… The Low tonight in my part of Ga is 23… never done an overnight cook as yet so im kinda nervous .. lol!
Grill will roll fine all night, outside temp won’t hurt it

I do all my briskets overnight, put them on overnight, wrap in the morning, afternoon they go into the warmer for 6-7 hours.

Get some sleep, let the cooker cook

I do all my briskets overnight, put them on overnight, wrap in the morning, afternoon they go into the warmer for 6-7 hours.

Get some sleep, let the cook

Get some sleep, let the cooker cook
This cook is really just giving me something to do all day tomorrow while it’s cold as hell.. I’m also flipping back to nights for Sunday night, so there’s no set time everything has to be done .. lol

This cook is really just giving me something to do all day tomorrow
That makes this the perfect time for an overnight cook. Nothing on the line, no pressure. That way when you ”NEED” to do an overnight cook that others will be eating, you’ll have a little experience under your belt. Just my 2 cents.

It’ll be interesting to see the timings of yours. I’ve been putting them on at 10pm at 180 or 200, they’ve been mid 150’s at 6ish. Bump to 225 about 8 am, done mid afternoon. For us it works as we eat dinner 4:30-5 ish. The only thing I miss doing is spritzing, although I’ll sometimes do it when I get up for other reasons.

It’ll be interesting to see the timings of yours. I’ve been putting them on at 10pm at 180 or 200, they’ve been mid 150’s at 6ish. Bump to 225 about 8 am, done mid afternoon. For us it works as we eat dinner 4:30-5 ish. The only thing I miss doing is spritzing, although I’ll sometimes do it when I get up for other reasons.

IMG_3251.png

Best thing about a pellet grill is constant temperature unattended cooking. Since I've got mine, I always put pork shoulder or brisket on between 10pm and midnight, typically with temp set in the low/180-200 range, then go to bed and sleep soundly. When I get up in the morning, it's usually time to wrap if desired, bump temp up to 225 and check pellet hopper if it's a winter cook with freezing temperatures. Protein is usually done early afternoon - perfect for wrapping and putting in a cooler for 2-4 hours, allowing dinner to be anywhere from 4-7 pm with no problem. No more worrying if protein I got up early AM to start will be done for a late dinner.

With pellet grills and computer fan controlled big green eggs and kettles; the "Night-time is our Friend". I do all my "big meat" smokes as overnights. It takes a bite out of passing the 17 -19 hours. :)

v/r rc

FreakDawg76…I “get” the anxiety. I’ve had a wood pellet grill over 15 years. Just got my RT-700 in 2020. But I was always reluctant to do an overnighter.

My first one, this past October, a brisket, did not go as I thought it would. I put it on at 11pm at 225 degrees F. As I’m getting ready for bed about 1am, I can see it’s cooking fast. I couldn’t sleep. I finally got up at 3am and wrapped it. Cook finished by 9am. Wrapped it in towels and put it in my cooler. It’s still hot to the touch when I sliced it at 5pm. Tasted great. Tender. In hindsight, I’m thinking the brisket was on the smaller side and the flat was thin. So lessons were learned.

My most recent overnighter were two pork butts. Put them on at 11pm at 200F. Went to bed. Woke up at 6am. Internal temps were at 160F or a couple degrees higher. I wrapped them and cranked heat to 225F. They were done a few minutes before noon. Put those in my cooler to rest til dinner at 5pm. Pulled easily…bone pulled out cleanly. Meat was moist. End product was superb.

All that said, I’m still a bit gun shy about overnight cooking. The two experiences were very different. I need to do more to “find my groove”.

On my second cook, it was a cold night. I filled/topped off my hopper (holds 40 lbs of pellets) when I put the meat on. When I checked my RT app the next morning, it showed the 700 held a steady temp all night long. So I’m confident the RecTeq can do its part exceptionally well. Those butts were both about 10 lbs each. So maybe that 6 or 7 hours at 200F is the norm. Again, I need more cooks to confirm that/validate.
I’m excited and nervous about doing a brisket again. I need to make sure I get a heftier brisket for an overnight cook.

Not sure posting this helps you but I can at least concur that overnight cooking causes some anxiety. 🤭

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back