Crazy Jane rub

Anyone ever use Crazy Jane for pork shoulder rub?
I make my own espresso rub, I prefer sugar free and all the retail rubs use sugar. I smoke my own sea salt and use cacao and a bit of ground espresso, you can also smoke the peppercorns or peppers or add roasted dried peppers.

I make my own espresso rub, I prefer sugar free and all the retail rubs use sugar. I smoke my own sea salt and use cacao and a bit of ground espresso, you can also smoke the peppercorns or peppers or add roasted dried peppers.
I smoke salt myself. Really adds a nice depth of flavor when using.

It's really easy. Choose your salt of choice, can be anything really, EXCEPT iodized salt. You won't want to smoke that. Sea Salt, Kosher salt, Himalayan Pink, etc. are fine.

Pour salt on a cookie sheet in a thin layer, and place on the grill with the setting at 180-225 (I like the lower myself) and smoke the salt for a few hours.

I sometimes mist the salt with a little water to help the smoke adhere. I also tend to taste it and stir it around every hour or so. Some like a couple of hours smoke, some like more. You'll have to play around with what your preference is. Same with your wood choice. Apple smoked is really good, but Hickory, Oak, etc. are fine too.

I think some people do higher temps for shorter durations, but the basic deal is.......put salt on a sheet and smoke it.

EDIT: You want to store this stuff in an airtight container after it cools. It will improve in flavor over a few days.

It's really easy. Choose your salt of choice, can be anything really, EXCEPT iodized salt. You won't want to smoke that. Sea Salt, Kosher salt, Himalayan Pink, etc. are fine.

Pour salt on a cookie sheet in a thin layer, and place on the grill with the setting at 180-225 (I like the lower myself) and smoke the salt for a few hours.

I sometimes mist the salt with a little water to help the smoke adhere. I also tend to taste it and stir it around every hour or so. Some like a couple of hours smoke, some like more. You'll have to play around with what your preference is. Same with your wood choice. Apple smoked is really good, but Hickory, Oak, etc. are fine too.

I think some people do higher temps for shorter durations, but the basic deal is.......put salt on a sheet and smoke it.

EDIT: You want to store this stuff in an airtight container after it cools. It will improve in flavor over a few days.
Thank you. I’ll give it a go!

I love the smoked salt-it makes a great addition to most foods, even if the food has been smoked.

As a FYI based on my personal experience and preference, only smoke salt in a clean grill and don’t try to multitask and smoke salt while smoking meat. The salt will be infused with the taste of whatever else is in the smoker. I had to throw out an entire batch of salt because the only thing i could use it on was the meat I was smoking with the salt.

You guys are killing me. I keep looking for places to go and get the hell out of the once beautiful, now truly disgusting state of CA. I promise not to bring mainstream CA thought process and voting choices with me wherever I land.
I lived in Manhattan Beach area for 65 years. Thought I would never want to live anywhere else. Then I discovered NC. I could never go back to CA after living where the air is clean and trees and animal life are all around. House in CA, 1700 sq. feet, 1 mile back from the beach, sold for 2.5 million. Built 3200 sq. foot home on 1/2 acre on the water in NC, total price 504 thousand. And, totally different type of people and politics. Neighbors are all Marine pilots, people pray in restaurants before meals, etc.

You guys are killing me. I keep looking for places to go and get the hell out of the once beautiful, now truly disgusting state of CA. I promise not to bring mainstream CA thought process and voting choices with me wherever I land.
I grew up in Illinois - once a great state, but today, it's an armpit (CA Jr.). We now reside in NE Texas! Come on down, y'all! Meat Church is like 30 miles from us.

I concur about Illinowhere. I am from San Antonio. Sure miss Texas.
I grew up in San Antonio.....I miss what it was, but it's much bigger now.

Live in NM nowadays. Hate the politics here, but love the natural beauty of this state and the fly fishing is fantastic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back