Costco Pellets

BNeal

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Picked up a bag today - 40lbs for $12.99. Anything I should know about these before I jump in?

1682976742508.png

I think the aroma is lacking, lately I'll mix them 50/50 - ish with the Bourbon Barrel pellets.
It's just missing that happy smell. Otherwise - they work as they should - no issues.

I've used them and had good results. My wife complained that whatever I cooked had too much smoke flavor so I've switched up to different ones lately.

I've always been surprised how many pellet grill folks on reddit and elsewhere often complain about not enough smoke flavor.

Different "smoke" for different folks 😁

I find that they tend to have a lot of long pellets. I’ve had bags where there were lots of pellets 2 1/2“ long. I only use them on my Bullseye because I stay with those cooks. For low and slow overnight on my 700 I don’t trust them. I’m afraid they’ll bridge over and the grill will flame out. I love them on the Bullseye because they produce good heat and you can’t beat the price.
IMG_6145.jpeg

Look good to me. I wish they had them in 20 or 30 lb bags. More convenient for me to stack and pour since my ruptured disc. They do not appear too long in the bag shown. Hard to beat that price. I pay $10 for 20 lbs of LJ's. so no complaints here.

Picked up a bag today - 40lbs for $12.99. Anything I should know about these before I jump in?

View attachment 19144
I've been using them for about 9 months, I've been very happy with them. I do notice that a few of the pellets are long and occasionally I'll hear the auger snap them. But, no jams or bridges.

Last edited:
I’ve been using them since they hit the Costco shelves over a year ago. I’ve gone through about 160lbs of them. They are very reasonably priced and haven’t caused any problems. They have a mild smoke profile and the fruit wood blends don‘t seem detectable in pork or beef making them a little more versatile than a true fruit blend. As stated above by SmokeOCD, you can mix them with your favorite blends. If you really want to pump things up, mix 50-50 or better with Mesquite and really bring the flavor home. One last thing, they hold temps well in the Bull and don’t give off any harshness or bitterness. For those that think they will cause bridging, so far not in my unit but don’t forget, our augers (old and new) are the rock crushers of pellet grills.

Same here, I love them.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'd like to add to it...

Does anyone know the stocking season for these? We all know products come and go in Costco based on season. Do they stock these year round? Only certain times? I'm debating how many bags to buy. I currently have 10 bags on hand but used 2/3 of a bag this past weekend (23 hours worth of cooking :cool: ).

I've not found them in my Costco, but will ask. Who makes them? Kirkland doesn't "make" much of anything. They're great at labeling, though!

Out here on the West Coast they put them away when the Christmas stuff came out. They relocated them near the cleaning supplies and aluminum foil, then poof, they were gone. This happened sometime in late November. They usually show up again in the February time frame when they start putting the gardening supplies out.

Those are all I run in my Bull and Bullseye.

No bridging issues, no ignition problems, plenty of heat, etc.

They are pretty mild flavor wise. If I want to something stronger/smokier I fill a smoke tube with some straight hickory, mesquite, or apple pellets.

Can't say about Costco pellets, but Iknow Sams club pellets tend to leave a lot of ash as compared to Bear Mountain or other bigger name pellets. Ilike to vaccum out the fire chamber after every 3 -4 burns.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back