Bull Competition cart and customer service disappointment

Grill Gonzo

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-1250
I am a little disappointed in the Rec Tec competition cart. It was initially lost and did not arrive with my 700 Bull so after contacting customer service it was promptly shipped. I was excited and happy to get my entire order completed and to get my grill setup. After the competition cart finally arrived I noticed no slot or hole for the bulls wiring! While the heavy duty build and the height increase Is a very welcome addition the poor design omission is very disappointing. It appears the cart was designed for the previous version grill and not the 700s lower wiring mount. I assume the lower wiring hole on the Bull is for reduced thermal issues and that makes a lot of sense. With my new cart configuration the wires are sandwiched between metal and makes a sharp 90 degree bend. I promptly wrote to Rectec and was told the following;

“The competition cart is actually designed to have the wires positioned in the way that your is. We put more than enough material around the wire to ensure that nothing negative would come from this setup. With that being said we did get enough emails and calls that we have decided to make some changes. There will now be a cutout put into the side panel to allow for the wires to slid through. I can’t stress this enough that you will have nothing happen to the wires with the way that they are set up now. We are only making the change because of the amount of phone calls that we were getting. The change isn’t brought on by any sort of issue with the grill wiring.”

While I agree the change is not about the wiring it’s about the cart! The wires are sheathed and have a rubber grommet to protect them coming out of the hole but that protection is negated when it’s sandwiched in the competition cart and is redirected at a sharp angle. I understand this is no longer going to be an issue for a lot of people going forward and I am sure a lot of fellow rectec mafia have drilled holes, cut slots and made it work but my point is this is a brand new cart and I or anyone else for that matter should have been sent a new side plate with the new rectec slot modification. if we the consumer view this as a problem, rectec now views it as a problem and has changed production then it’s indeed a problem! In my mind good customer service is not the its all good on yours but we made changes anyway attitude, it’s about fixing the known problem on a new purchase and making it right. Just my humble .02

I can understand your frustration @Grill Gonzo. It certainly does sound like they didn't update the design after the release of the Rec Tec Bull.

Though it does sound like they have tested it and was comfortable with the outcome - obviously not to your likely but it DOES work and it DOESN'T cause issues. Further the Rec Tec support has been top notch and I'm sure, in the rare event something WAS to happen they would take care of it.

Glad to hear that Rec Tec is going to update the design of the cart, not because they have or need to but only because customers have asked for it.

Thanks Mike, it is a little frustrating. While I believe the wires in a static environment are more than likely not going to induce a ground or short causing an electrical fire or component damage I can say that nobody would intentionally place wires under pressure between two pieces of conductive metal and say it’s as designed but we are correcting it going forward. Liability and caution would dictate wires to be dressed and stress relieved according to standards in the industry and code. Just my humble .02 as an old electronic technician.

Last edited:
I have to say that Ryan at Rec Tec went above and beyond to insure I am a completely satisfied customer. I was able to voice my concerns and going forward nobody will need to modify their cart for the wiring to be correct. Rec Tec has continued to prove I made the right choice in a pellet smoker.

Thanks for the update @Grill Gonzo. Their customer service is reason enough to be happy to pick RecTec, let alone they make top notch pellet grills. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back