Bull Cold Weather Smoke - Results

Very pertinent discussion for me. After some five years or more ruminating on a Recteq, my wife and I finally ordered a RT-700. It arrived between Christmas and New Years. It was about 25 degrees the day it arrived.

We live in Utah county, about 35 miles South of downtown SLC & 12-15 miles north of Provo at an elevation of about 4,600’. This is a valley surrounded by mountains; several peaks top over 11,000’. They’re all covered in snow. Typical temperatures for the end of November into the end of February are lows from the upper single digits to upper teens/lower 20s; and highs from mid-20s to upper 30s; occasionally lower 40s Today, the low was 12 or 13, the high was about 36, with a Northwest wind of about 15 mph—right off those snow-covered mountains. The National Weather Service website indicated that with the windchill, it felt like 20 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to be 13 and 28, with a 10-20% chance of snow. The wind will be blowing again. It’s been too cold to hold a screwdriver and wrench without gloves since the grill arrived. And I can’t manipulate nuts and bolts wearing gloves. Consequently, the Recteq is still in the box in the unheated garage, waiting for warmer days. I’ve been trying to screw my courage to the sticking place to complete the patching of the garage ceiling sheet rock and installing the ceiling-mount electric heater I bought back in November. It’s not working. When you’re retired and have a physical disability affected by the cold, it’s much, much easier to stretch out on the bed or the sofa and read a book than to bundle up and brave a 38-42 degree garage for several hours.

Anyway, I emailed Recteq support about the cold temperature issue described above. As much as I paid for the grill, I ought to use it as often as I can if I can solve the cold-related pellet consumption issue. As others have noted, Recteq support suggests using a welding blanket. If I can find a heavy enough needle for our sewing machine, I may try to run up a custom sandwich of welding blanket bread surrounding a filling of that aluminized, insulating bubble wrap. I’d sew in nylon straps and Velcro to hold it in place. If it’s not too much money, I may just ask a local upholstery shop to take on the job. I did ask Recteq for the location of the fire pot air intake. It’s at the base of the pellet hopper where it enters the bottom of the grill. Another option is finding an insulating blanket made for a competitor’s grill which would fit on the RT-700 with minimal to no modification. Even better would be a Recteq ready-made, insulated cover for those of us who live in colder winter climates. Which is a fairly large demographic. Maybe I should point out the potential lost revenue to Recteq. The blanket could be featured on the specific grill page with a blurb to the effect of: “For those in colder climates, who want to grill year-round.”

Lows have been in upper singles to upper teens with highs between upper 20s-30s. Today was 38, but the Northwest wind off the snow-covered mountains created a enough windchill to feel like 20. So, the smoker is still in the box, sitting on a dolly in the unheated garage waiting for some warmer days.

Wife is home with a snow day. She's got 2 roasts cooking on the Bull. One for chili, one for Mississippi pot roast. 15 degrees currently.

zeg1I7Kl.jpg

tmUUwVul.jpg

She did good...

d5VUYVNl.jpg

nL3W3R7l.jpg

Smoked around 225 until IT was 150-160. Put MPR in pan following the Hey Grill Hey recipe. The one for chili went in a pan for a beer bath. Cooked until IT hit 200ish.

At this point, I was home and neither pulled apart as easily as I thought they should. Neither was submerged in the liquid ingredients so I flipped the meat over in each pan. The side that had been down in the juices pulled apart easily. I gave them another hour after flipping and they were perfect.

The MPR recipe she followed mentions adding water to cut down on the saltiness of the pepper juice. She didn't, but we both agreed that next time we will.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back