Bull Cold Smoker

Humpy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Has anyone found a Non Recteq smoker attachment that can be added to the 700? Doesn’t seem like Recteq is planning on restocking their product.

It’s still on their site (Sold Out), so perhaps it’s a supply issue at this point. I have one and I use it, but if were buying a RT-700/1250 today, I’d pass. It’s really not a cold smoker as on the RT-700’s lowest setting it still gets too warm in the box to qualify as cold smoke temp. A smoke tube in your grill with the fan only running in manual mode gives some pretty good cold smoke results. What are you looking to smoke?

It’s still on their site (Sold Out), so perhaps it’s a supply issue at this point. I have one and I use it, but if were buying a RT-700/1250 today, I’d pass. It’s really not a cold smoker as on the RT-700’s lowest setting it still gets too warm in the box to qualify as cold smoke temp. A smoke tube in your grill with the fan only running in manual mode gives some pretty good cold smoke results. What are you looking to smoke?
I like your thoughts on this here, Greg! I want to do some cheese.!

Just looking to cold smoke cheese, sausage, fish etc. it looks to be a nice add on. Now, I’m looking for ideas to do a DIY mod. Can you share the smoke tube design or a picture, that sounds like a solid idea.

I agree with Greg on this one. I have the smoke box, and if I were buying today, I'd pass. I use it, but as Greg notes, it's still too warm for real cold smoking, and I find that it's a bit small (I like to hang sausages and sticks, etc.) Also, I have found that the air/smoke flow in the box is uneven, which means I need to rotate things in there to get even smoke coverage. I have some ideas in my head for building something that is the size I want, and maybe I'll rig it to use the RT for smoke generation, though if I do build it, likely I'll just go with an appropriate hot plate to get the temps I want (typically 170 and below.)

Rich

I have the magnum PIG cold smoker by SmokeDaddy on my 700. May found funny but I haven't used it for cold smoking. I use it for added smoke to cooks. But it would work awesome as a cold smoker.

To be honest though, a smoke tube with the fan mode on on the grill would be a lot cheaper.

Thank y’all for the advice! I now have some ideas as well. I’ll share once I put it in motion.

I ran into this a while back.

To me it literally looks like a smoker box with a soldering iron in it. Would be super easy to make your own.

https://originalkits.com/products/the-original-cold-smoker-kit

Might even be able to drill a hole on the closed end of a smoke tube and mount a soldering iron there. Just throw in the smoke tube, plug it in. Obviously, cold smoking only.

Last edited:
We use a Smoke Tube every time we smoke Cheese
Winter here in northern Utah is the perfect time
Cheese on the Bull.jpg

Cheese Smoked on the Bull.jpg

5 Cheeses on 5 June.jpg

OH .... String Cheese doesn't work, and Bree SUCKS :oops:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back