Bull New 700 & cold smoker owner

Lilbullowner

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
Hi all, just got my RT-700 yesterday & assembled today. Did anyone have issues with the smoker handle not fitting properly? I bolted it in as video showed but handle is too loose & just dangles. I'm thinking something was missing from pkg. Called rt & they just said they'd send me a new handle.
Also, the side handle seems aweful cheap compared to the bull horn handles installed. What's up with that?

I have a 590 so maybe it’s different but mine came with some gasket that fit between the outside of the lid and the horns. Made a tight fit with no movement.

That handle on the Bull smokebox does feel a bit flimsy compared to the rest of the smoker. However, it is functional and serves the purpose. I noticed this too, when assembling it.

Is there a chance you have the locking piece seated upside down? When you assemble the handle, it should be pointed down (open position). At that time the locking bar should be pointed straight up. It will move counterclockwise and lock, when the handle is moved up. I had to watch the video twice to notice this when doing the assembly.

I had done everything the video stated, handle down lockbar up pointed inward. I even inverted the lockbar & no change. I'm thinking there's something missing in the assembly since there's about an 8th - qtr inch gap between handle & outer plate.

Hmm sounds like you got it. There is definitely a bit of space between the handle and the door. I called Recteq about that when I put mine together, just to be sure I wasn't making a mistake. I should be cooking on Saturday, so I can take a picture of my handle for you. Maybe that will point out a missing part on yours. Mine does lock properly.

Hmm sounds like you got it. There is definitely a bit of space between the handle and the door. I called Recteq about that when I put mine together, just to be sure I wasn't making a mistake. I should be cooking on Saturday, so I can take a picture of my handle for you. Maybe that will point out a missing part on yours. Mine does lock properly.
I'm smoking a pork shoulder Saturday, wanted everything right for my B-Day. Guess I'll need to wait for the part. Seems they're pretty good about sending free parts if you say "my handle has too much play" but not much for providing technical assistance. I'm getting in touch with them today to make sure they understand what's happening. It's gotta be a washer, rubber gasket, or something. Bummer

Hi all, just got my RT-700 yesterday & assembled today. Did anyone have issues with the smoker handle not fitting properly? I bolted it in as video showed but handle is too loose & just dangles. I'm thinking something was missing from pkg. Called rt & they just said they'd send me a new handle.
Also, the side handle seems aweful cheap compared to the bull horn handles installed. What's up with that?
Mine was not tight either but it just needed to be tightened more and it was fine. Make sure the outside end pieces are on too.

What outside end pieces? The handle only has a screw 2 washers & bolt. Sent a vid to RT & they said there appears to be an issue with the handle so they're sending a replacement.

I had done everything the video stated, handle down lockbar up pointed inward. I even inverted the lockbar & no change. I'm thinking there's something missing in the assembly since there's about an 8th - qtr inch gap between handle & outer plate.
I have had the same experience. Just installed on my 700 and everything went well until the handle. Watched the video and inserted as instructed. Handle sits 1/4 away from outside of door. Handle will turn but not lock and then return to vertical position. I was able to add 4 washers on the inside to push the latch farther forward and it works but not ideal. Reached out to Rectec today.

Mine was the same way. I sealed the smoke box door with LavaLock gasket same as I did with the main chamber, and that fixed It.
Last week I did what Greg suggested. This tightened up the fit of the smokebox door quite well and sealed any gaps. One 15 foot roll of 1/8 by 1/2 gasket does both the lid and smokebox door. I'm very happy with it.

Last week I did what Greg suggested. This tightened up the fit of the smokebox door quite well and sealed any gaps. One 15 foot roll of 1/8 by 1/2 gasket does both the lid and smokebox door. I'm very happy with it.
Well, the tech told me it was the handle so they're sending me a new one. Can't see the point in spending the extra $s for fixing something you paid for new. I did get a gasket for the grill to fit around the door on grill and smokebox.
I'm a bit disappointed...sealant on the inner wall where it's not supposed to be, damaged internal track & bottom rack, handle on smokebox, and the Matadore leg assembly was rusted enough where you cant secure the burner.
They're sending me everything but whatever happened to quality control? It's like they had these complaints before & were expecting to ship seconds as the calls come in.

Well, the tech told me it was the handle so they're sending me a new one. Can't see the point in spending the extra $s for fixing something you paid for new. I did get a gasket for the grill to fit around the door on grill and smokebox.
I'm a bit disappointed...sealant on the inner wall where it's not supposed to be, damaged internal track & bottom rack, handle on smokebox, and the Matadore leg assembly was rusted enough where you cant secure the burner.
They're sending me everything but whatever happened to quality control? It's like they had these complaints before & were expecting to ship seconds as the calls come in.
I would be hopeful they're not sending seconds.

When you build with Chinese expect quality issues. Rec Teq needs to find another manufacture or risk loosing the following they now have. I have the same issues with the smoke box and getting disenchanted.

When you build with Chinese expect quality issues. Rec Teq needs to find another manufacture or risk loosing the following they now have. I have the same issues with the smoke box and getting disenchanted.
Yeah, this is kinda what happened to Traeger.

If they have someone focusing on QC prior to boxing, they'll spend less on shipping AND will develop a stronger following. Word of mouth is the cheapest/best form of advertising.

RT's quality control in general could be better. But it's not solely because of Chinese manufacturing, despite that being a popular criticism these days. Plenty of other products are made there and have good quality control. RT would have to make it happen if they choose to improve. I daresay my last-ever Chevrolet was made in North America and was utter rubbish (same with a friend's).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back