Changing my mindset on Pork Butt Temps - Take a Look

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
I was always a loyal 225, wrap them at 165, and then pull around 203. But this is third time I've done 250 for hour to get better smoke build up then straight to 275 and keep uncovered unless I need to rush to finish the cook, and I'm loving the results on bark and don't feel like I'm losing the juicy factor at higher temp. Especially if inject and spray every 90 mins. It's pouring rain here in KY but check out the Bull doing its thing.

Yeah after some experimentation created by laziness and my enthusiasm for overnight cooks if they are long ones, I inject, apply rub and just let the smoker do it's thing at 250 until internal temperature of 203.

I don't wrap or even spritz any longer. If it's a half decent piece of meat this method really has produced excellent product with very minimal effort. I do still wrap and insulate for a long resting period.

Yep, I've been going 275 a lot lately with great results and several hours less. I prefer using a smoke tube to get additional smoke, since 275 doesn't produce as much as 225. I still will put in a tin and wrap around the stall. Add some broth and onions to add back in once its been pulled.

I have always cooked pork buts at 275-300. To me doing it any lower is just a waste of time, they come out perfect every time. This is from my stick burner.

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_154944226.jpg
    IMG_20190929_154944226.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
I've wrapped briskets, but never thought about wrapping a butt.

🤔

In reply to the "does anyone wrap butts?" From a few of you. The way alot of people I know do it and online instructions is unwrapped until around 165, then wrap and crunch in tin pan with some liquid and that will keep it from drying out and get through stall. So that's how I started but I've found this 275 temp and no wrap is producing some amazing bark

I was always a loyal 225, wrap them at 165, and then pull around 203. But this is third time I've done 250 for hour to get better smoke build up then straight to 275 and keep uncovered unless I need to rush to finish the cook, and I'm loving the results on bark and don't feel like I'm losing the juicy factor at higher temp. Especially if inject and spray every 90 mins. It's pouring rain here in KY but check out the Bull doing its thing.
View attachment 13845
View attachment 13845
I am going to give it a try! They look great.

I generally tend to cook butts at a lower temp than a picnic. Most of the time I will wrap during the stall for the butt, however the picnic is uncovered to keep the crispy skin

I've smoked them as high as 350F. Wrap based on bark build, not internal temp. When you're happy with the bark, wrap it. 275F is where I most often do ribs, brisket and butt lately.

View attachment 13845
View attachment 13845
I've done spatchcock at 325 no wrap, half the cook time and super moist and full of flavor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back