catfish recipes?

chadinsc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
i have a bunch of catfish and was wondering if anyone has ever smoked it. all i have done is grill it with blackened seasoning or fried. any favorite techniques?

Last edited:
I have smoked it but on a vertical smoker, not on the Bull. From my memory, I used a mayonnaise binder (sounds weird but you won’t taste it, don’t use too much). Sprinkled it with a little kosher salt, pepper, onion powder and a little brown sugar. Set the grill to 375 and used apple and hickory sticks. I started with the skin side up so it would absorb as much smoke as possible then turned it over skin side down to crisp it up a little. You can look at the salmon or tilapia recipes to get additional tips as I don’t know what size your filets or pieces will be, YMMV.

thanks for the advice. i have actually used mayonnaise on sharks as a binder. it works great. i have small and medium catfish 1-26lbs. alot in the 10-15 range.

I’ve never been much of a catfish fan. Much prefer salt water fish. I did have some fried catfish this week that was fantastic though.

I’m kind of thinking you’re not gonna improve on fried. Battered, fried, squeeze of lemon, garlicy tartar sauce. Can’t imagine you’re going to improve on that.
I do understand the urge to try. Good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back