Bull Any suggestions or tried and true smoked bison roast recipes would be greatly appre.

JamesB

I am a huge fan of bison burgers and steaks. We have a local bison ranch that consistently produces grass fed, antibiotic free, delicious meat. Now, I’d like to try smoking a bison roast.

As the title says, I’d greatly appreciate any tips, warnings, suggestions, recipes, etc., on how to produce an incredible bison roast.

Thanks

James

I'm looking forward to hearing about this as well. Never seen a bison roast, just steaks and ground.

I would think you'd need to inject as the meat is already very lean. Are you thinking like a tenderloin or a working muscle similar to beef?

They offer a bison chuck roast and a bison tip roast. I’m going with the chuck roast to (hopefully) avoid potential problems with the meat being too lean.

I’ve never tried smoking Bison because of how lean it is. I have had Bison pot roast made with the chuck roast cut and it was quite good. Obviously, the long cook in liquid avoided any dryness issues.

As @Pacman suggested, I would do some serious injection of liquids at least 12 hours ahead of putting the Bison chuck roast in the smoker. If you end up smoking a Bison roast, I’ll be very interested in the procedure you use and the results you get. Keep us informed, please.

Not wishing this upon you, best of luck, but if you go over ... worst case...
1679681244058.png

So two posts up, I just did that with my chuck roast. I got impatient, over done, not so great ,yadda yadda yadda - so I put it on the slicer, turned it into roast beef sammichez. Set it in a crock pot with beef broth and onion soup mix for a while, toasted bread, olive tappenade, mozzarella cheeze, under broiler to toast it all up- Save!!!!

So two posts up, I just did that with my chuck roast. I got impatient, over done, not so great ,yadda yadda yadda - so I put it on the slicer, turned it into roast beef sammichez. Set it in a crock pot with beef broth and onion soup mix for a while, toasted bread, olive tappenade, mozzarella cheeze, under broiler to toast it all up- Save!!!!
With “olive tappenade,” you could make a shower flip-flop edible! 🤣

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back