Casanova's Competition Rub any substitute?

sdynak

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So as Recteq are dropping the Cananova's Competition Rub looking for a suitable substitute recommendation.

This is one of my go to for almost all pork cooks and a bit lost where to go from here once it is gone. I still have some for now and don't want to stock up too much as I am sure shelf like will eventually get it.

I don't understand why they are doing this :unsure: . Such a good rub.

Any of the Meat Church line is a good place to start. All the one's I've tried were good and the salt content wasn't that bad.
Yeah, Meat Church is my go to for all things BBQ.

Strangely enough, I never use their Fajita rub for Fajitas. I tend to put it on veggies.

For pork I have been using the Screaming Pig Rub. There are a ton of rubs out there, lately I have been trying things from Spiceology . They have a lot of interesting rubs and spices. They have alot of salt free and sugar free spices as well as very fresh spices. I have please with everything I have received from there.

Any of the Meat Church line is a good place to start. All the one's I've tried were good and the salt content wasn't that bad.

Thanks.. Will defiantly be in my lineup when I go for more. Good to know about the salt. That makes is too easy to over season when the salt content is high.

For pork I have been using the Screaming Pig Rub. There are a ton of rubs out there, lately I have been trying things from Spiceology . They have a lot of interesting rubs and spices. They have alot of salt free and sugar free spices as well as very fresh spices. I have please with everything I have received from there.

Very cool.. they have some real interesting options in their Signature Blends. I could see easily ordering a 1/2 dozen or so to try out! Thanks

Very cool.. they have some real interesting options in their Signature Blends. I could see easily ordering a 1/2 dozen or so to try out! Thank
Yes, we have tried the Black and Bleu, The Blackberry Balsamic and the Pink Peppercorn Lemon Thyme. I also have several of the salt free blends as well. They also have some hard to find spices. All very fresh!

I’d recommend trying Meathead’s Memphis Rub. The recipe is on Amazingribs.com and since you make it yourself, you can make a batch salt-free, allowing you to salt separately (ie the day before).

Are you looking more to make your own rub or buy a similar pre-made rub?

Are you looking more to make your own rub or buy a similar pre-made rub?

The idea of making my own would be great but at this point just looking to eye up pre-made similar rubs. Maybe later down the road I might consider doing me own.

I still have a good amount like 3 each of Competition and Screaming Pig. The competition has been a staple for flavor and just a disappointment to see it leaving the lineup. So it will be some time before any substitute is needed. Just getting ideas to know all is not lost LOL :).

The idea of making my own would be great but at this point just looking to eye up pre-made similar rubs. Maybe later down the road I might consider doing me own.
Got it. That’s so disappointing that it’s being discontinued! I was wondering, because I’ve honestly had so many beloved food products get discontinued that I have a bit of complex about it 🤪. I’ve resorted to doing all sorts of crazy things to replicate my favorites.

Anyway, I agree that the Meat Church rubs are great, and if you’re inclined, I’d start with either The Gospel or The Holy Gospel as the closest to the Casanova’s. The Holy Gospel seems to have a bit more black pepper kick to it.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Got it. That’s so disappointing that it’s being discontinued! I was wondering, because I’ve honestly had so many beloved food products get discontinued that I have a bit of complex about it 🤪. I’ve resorted to doing all sorts of crazy things to replicate my favorites.

Anyway, I agree that the Meat Church rubs are great, and if you’re inclined, I’d start with either The Gospel or The Holy Gospel as the closest to the Casanova’s. The Holy Gospel seems to have a bit more black pepper kick to it.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Thank you @IPlayWithMeat!

I assume RecTeq does not make their rubs. If that is the fact, why not contact them and see if they will identify the producer. If they discontinue the rub, no loss for them.

Anyone ever hear anymore about this?

I spoke to Carlo about two months ago and he told me it was coming back out very soon on his own. I guess I need to call him back.

In the past 3 years I’ve used all the Meat Church rubs as well as all of Lanes BBQ rubs and I’ve enjoyed everyone of them
They both make an excellent assortment of rubs that can be used on anything you want to smoke or grill

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back