Stampede Can't smoke on my RT-590 when it's windy

Cirhere

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
what do you ladies and gentlemen do about the wind my 590 hates it, I can't smoke when its windy

I haven’t had that problem and we have plenty of wind here. Can you give us some more detail on why you can’t smoke in the wind? Does the fire go out? Temperature fluctuate? More information might help us figure out what’s happening, and why.

I've never had any issues in the wind, though I orient the grill so the back where the vents are located face downwind therefore the wind is not blown into exhaust vents. I could see if the vents were facing the wind that the airflow design characteristics of the grill would be compromised :unsure:

I haven’t had that problem and we have plenty of wind here. Can you give us some more detail on why you can’t smoke in the wind? Does the fire go out? Temperature fluctuate? More information might help us figure out what’s happening, and why.
sorry that wasn't enough info, fire goes out and it get igniter faults

Something seems amiss..

Maybe pellets I would initially suspect but might be worth contacting Recteq and see what they say.

Usually not an issue for me.

Something seems amiss..

Maybe pellets I would initially suspect but might be worth contacting Recteq and see what they say.

Usually not an issue for me.
I'm thinking grill blew over, laying on side :unsure:

Whenever it is a very weird issue and just doesn't make sense, change out the pellets.

sorry that wasn't enough info, fire goes out and it get igniter faults
Have you checked the position of the ignitor? It should be flush with the housing it sits in and not pushed back inside. And, have you checked the pellet auger feed? Is anything jammed up in there that prevents a constant supply of pellets being delivered to the firebox?

The “ignitor faults” would seem to me to indicate that there is an insufficient supply of pellets that is causing the ignitor to keep trying to start the fire, without success. Certainly, if you have damp pellets that won’t light, that could also cause that problem.

Finally, as suggested, facing the vents away from the wind (“downwind”) is a good idea.

As others have said, this is not a normal situation. Something is not working as it should. If you have done a quick check of the issues noted above and still have problems, a call to Recteq is certainly in order.

I have a 590 and have cooked in windy conditions and have not noticed any issues and honestly was impressed on how little it affected the cook.
That being said, if is super windy you cook re-position your grill so the wind is not directly in the back of your grill.
I agree with others and would call RT

Wind will keep inconsistent temps but has never hampered my smoke. I do use a welding blanket to cut the ND winds.

what do you ladies and gentlemen do about the wind my 590 hates it, I can't smoke when its windy
Does your unit have the wind/rain deflector things on it? They look like mini chimneys that fit on the exhaust slots on the rear.

I don't have much problem with wind with the deflectors installed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back