Stampede DIY Cold Smoke on 590 ???

Luscombe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Has anyone come up with an easy DIY to add cold smoke to the 590, maybe similar to the 700 cold smoke box?
I would really like to do some smoked fish on my 590.

I love the way this smoker performs and may have to accept it will not do cold smoke.

My current set up looks like this.

Attachments

• 20200820_175546.jpg
    20200820_175546.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 242
Internet search for "smoke tube" on your favorite shopping site.
I use one of those. Works awesome. Some here use them with regular cooks to add more smoke as well.

For cold smoking things like cheese in the 590, I just put the smoke tube directly on the firepot, without turning on the fan or anything. Then place the grates or cookie sheets with cheese over it. Works perfect since the smoke rises past the cheese. I found it helps to crack open the lid just a bit for air flow; I used folded up aluminum foil for that.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 57ED81FD-4126-4020-A0F0-3DB89CA38200.jpeg
    57ED81FD-4126-4020-A0F0-3DB89CA38200.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 148
  • A0CA9069-AFED-4227-A68D-F3C586707F92.jpeg
    A0CA9069-AFED-4227-A68D-F3C586707F92.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 127
Thanks for the suggestions. I will get a smoke tube.

How long would I need to cold smoke salmon like that? How do you tell when it is done?

I would do the sugar and salt cure over night and then rinse and air dry before putting it on the grill.

TIA

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get a smoke tube.

How long would I need to cold smoke salmon like that? How do you tell when it is done?

I would do the sugar and salt cure over night and then rinse and air dry before putting it on the grill.

TIA
I absolutely love my smoke tube, maybe too much!

RE: How long would I need to cold smoke salmon like that? How do you tell when it is done?

=> I'm a bit nervous about making cold smoked (raw) salmon, so haven't done that one yet. I've seen tutorials online, though, and maybe someone else has some good recommendations?

I use a soup can with the top removed a 5/8" hole drilled near the bottom, a cheap Harbor Freight electric pencil soldering iron and chips of your choice. Fill the can with chips with soldering iron inserted and plugged in. Arrange you cheese, eggs, whatever an about two hours the can should be burnt completely and you cold smoking is complete. Simple, cheap and very tasty.

I use a soup can with the top removed a 5/8" hole drilled near the bottom, a cheap Harbor Freight electric pencil soldering iron and chips of your choice. Fill the can with chips with soldering iron inserted and plugged in. Arrange you cheese, eggs, whatever an about two hours the can should be burnt completely and you cold smoking is complete. Simple, cheap and very tasty.
Instead of completely removing the top of the can, leave about 3/4 of an inch of the lid uncut so it acts as a hinge. You can fill the can and then push the lid closed. That will keep any chips from spilling out.

I completely remove the lid and stand the can upright. It lets more air in generating more smoke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back