RT-1250 Burn in, observations, & question

parrot037

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
The assembly of the 1250 was ok. Took a couple hours to get it completely assembled. I'm pretty impressed with the overall quality. It is a solid grill.

The burn in went as expected. Primed the fire pot, turned it on, set it to 400F. It took just under 15 mins to go from 0F to 400F. According to the display, it held temp very well. It never varied more than a couple degrees up or down. However, I did not verify temps with an independent thermometer. Ambient temp was 41F with some wind and light sprinkling. Cabelas hickory pellets.

After the hour at 400F, I turned the temp down to 275F, then 225F, then low and let it run at each setting for about 20 min. At every temp setting, again according to the display, it held spot on. It did struggle a little to get down to 180F, but once there it was good.

The Recteq ap paired on the first attempt (once I used the correct wifi password!). This was a pleasant surprise. Also the app and the temp display were completely in sync.

A couple observations:
- this grill is well made. Solid and heavy. Decent materials.
- there is not a hint of smoke at 400F, not even a whiff
- at the lower temps, smoke output was pretty good. My grates, which were nice and shiny, now have a golden hue from the smoke.
- the ap could use some work, but for just monitoring temps, it seems to be ok.

Question about ash. I've attached a couple pics. Does this amount of ash seem normal for 2.5-3 hours of run time? There was some fine ash throughout the cooker and a fair amount in the firepot. Does ash typically get on the food? I know pellet type can affect ash. I used cabelas.

Thanks,

20211120_144659.jpg
20211117_160620.jpg
Parrot

Just did my burn in today , then threw some chicken thighs on , have some cream cheese on now , but will look and see what it looks like down there when I pull cheese off.

I have been using Bear Mountain pellets is my 1250. Most of the ash is right around the fire pot when I clean mine. However all of my cooks thus far have been primarily at 225 for 10-20 hours at a time. I think the more "seasoned" it gets the the less ash is apt to float around as the surfaces get a little more "sticky". Higher temps = bigger flame, brand new grill with very clean, slick surfaces I think would allow for a little more floating of the ash than once it's been used a few times.

FWIW, if my 340 is any indication, what you have is normal. I get ash pretty much everywhere although by far the majority is in the bottom of the smoker and fire box. I get a little on the rails for the grates so I can't imagine it doesn't get on the food although I can not visually see or taste it there.

Here's another thread on the ash topic https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/pellet-dust-everywhere.2748/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back