Bullseye Bullseye Ribeyes

Dadbo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
  2. Stampede
Thanks for all your wisdom shared that I have been able to lean on since getting my 590 and Bullseye. My sons and I are planning to add ribeye cooks during out Thurst-day cocktail hours as a guy bonding time. I have done ribeyes multiple ways on a variety of platforms and now since several of them have their own Bullseye grill, we all want to experiment with getting high quality results.

Not having a 2 zone option with the Bullseye, what method do you find to produce a restaurant level steak? I do have the GrillGrates I use on my Weber and used on the Bullseye for burgers, etc. My sons wish to have the “grill” marks as a badge or something on theirs. I want a great steak with my whiskey and wedge salad.
Any pointers or basic method you use will be most appreciated.

Your wisdom and knowledge has allowed me to progress quickly utilizing my Recteq grills avoiding costly and embarrassing disasters! So a big, big thanks to all. And thank you for reading thru all this.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

I think @Dr.Floyd suggestion will give you the absolute best result. It gives a light smoke and great sear.

If you only have the Bullseye I have had good luck using two GrillGrate sections to get the sear then once you have the color you like finish on the other third of the grill that isn’t covered with the GrillGrate. I usually run a at 400 to sear then drop it to 300 when I move to the stock grate. I haven’t done more than two steaks at a time this way and you are definitely limited on space.

I usually reverse sear my ribeye steaks. I would put them on the 590 at 200 degrees until internal temp hits 110 degrees then sear them off on the bullseye until you reach the internal temperature that you are shooting for.
I do a similar thing, but I'm more of a heathen about it......

On the 700/Bull @225F, Meat Internal temp to 117F. Then, throw it/them on a gasser set to 600F for a good sear. Done and done.

Because my "second grill" these days is a PK with lump charcoal these days, I start thick steaks like ribeyes, Cowboy, etc. to somewhere around 100 internal temp on the Recteq at maybe 200 - 225 (usually 225 as that's sort of my default for everything). Because there is the inherent wildcard of charcoal, I give myself a good 20 degrees to get to desired temp on the fire. Other than that, I'm pretty much in the same boat as other that have posted.

FYI, I did attempt searing on my Blackstone, Grill Grates on the Recteq, stovetop cast iron, etc., but all were a disappointment compared to something screaming hot for the final sear.

I do have a friend that has one of those Schwank infrared broilers. It does a pretty slick job of searing steaks comparable to the famous steakhouses, but apparently there is a moratorium on new grills for 2023 (for me).

I just did dry aged 1-1/2 in ribeyes on the bullseye. I started it at 200F until it reached an internal temperature of 115 F. We like our steaks medium rare. I removed them and set the bullseye to 500F. They seared up beautifully. You'll get some fire on these because of the fat, so keep your eye on them.

They were good. Not great. But I'm a pretty harsh critic. I dry age my own meat and I'm always looking for the best way to cook steaks.
IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with using the sous vide. The moisture is retained and the meat is cooked evenly. Sear it on the bullseye in the hopes that you get some smoke flavor. But at a high temperature you're not going to get much smoke flavor.

You could take it to 20° less than what you want to eat using the sous vide. Transfer to the bullseye. Leave it on low smoke until it reaches 10° less than where you want to eat it. Get your bullseye searing hot. Use grill grates if you want. And get a crust on it. Don't forget to remove the steak while you're heating up the bullseye for searing.

I know that's what I will do the next time.

I’ll probably get yelled at for this, but I don’t think you’ll ever get high-end, steak-house-seared steaks on a pellet grill. It is simply the wrong tool for the job. You can sorta drive nails with a pipe wrench too, but it ain’t the right tool.

Can you do “good” steaks on a pellet grill? Yeah, I think so; see suggestions above. Great steaks? Not in my opinion. You need something with a high-temp sear station to get that nice crust on a medium rare steak.

Sorry.

I’ll probably get yelled at for this, but I don’t think you’ll ever get high-end, steak-house-seared steaks on a pellet grill. It is simply the wrong tool for the job. You can sorta drive nails with a pipe wrench too, but it ain’t the right tool.

Can you do “good” steaks on a pellet grill? Yeah, I think so; see suggestions above. Great steaks? Not in my opinion. You need something with a high-temp sear station to get that nice crust on a medium rare steak.

Sorry.
As much as I hate to admit this here, I've had pretty good results along these lines with a gasser set to 600 or 650 degrees.

I still prefer getting to 117F internal on the 700, then searing it/them on the gasser.

Everyone , thank you so very much for your support. I have done the sous vide along with a gas grill and even a searzall with success. These steaks will be in the 1 1/4-1/2” ballpark. I will take your advice being I can put them on the 590 first and then do the sear, resting with some finishing butter. Wish me luck and I will try these other suggestions weekly in the following weeks! And now to check for a ripping hot searing station addition to the mix.

Sorry.
I did a Costco prime rib eye on the Bullseye set to riot mode 😎. Got a nice crust on it!

I just did dry aged 1-1/2 in ribeyes on the bullseye. I started it at 200F until it reached an internal temperature of 115 F. We like our steaks medium rare. I removed them and set the bullseye to 500F. They seared up beautifully. You'll get some fire on these because of the fat, so keep your eye on them.

They were good. Not great. But I'm a pretty harsh critic. I dry age my own meat and I'm always looking for the best way to cook steaks.
IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with using the sous vide. The moisture is retained and the meat is cooked evenly. Sear it on the bullseye in the hopes that you get some smoke flavor. But at a high temperature you're not going to get much smoke flavor.

You could take it to 20° less than what you want to eat using the sous vide. Transfer to the bullseye. Leave it on low smoke until it reaches 10° less than where you want to eat it. Get your bullseye searing hot. Use grill grates if you want. And get a crust on it. Don't forget to remove the steak while you're heating up the bullseye for searing.

I know that's what I will do the next time.
Thanks for the reply, Beth. In the past using the Sous vide and trying to get a decent crust seemed tough as moisture was a problem with multiple attempts to get the meat dry for searing. Your method show promise as it may dry out the problematic moisture prior to searing. Thanks! 👍🏻

Sorry.
Dang it! Can I fit a Napoleon 500 in my crowded grill area now? Maybe by thinning the herd. The 5 grills and Blackstone i currently have is gluttonous, my wife tells me. I would give up the WSM to make room. Wise move?

Thanks for the reply, Beth. In the past using the Sous vide and trying to get a decent crust seemed tough as moisture was a problem with multiple attempts to get the meat dry for searing. Your method show promise as it may dry out the problematic moisture prior to searing. Thanks! 👍🏻
You're very welcome. To be perfectly honest I think the best way to make a steak taste like it came out of a restaurant is to sous vide, dry off, season, and sear in a screaming hot cast iron pan with butter, a little oil, and eventually some aromatics. The fat turns golden and the sear is delicious. But that removes the smoker from the picture. Have fun, and don't forget to post photos.

Dang it! Can I fit a Napoleon 500 in my crowded grill area now? Maybe by thinning the herd. The 5 grills and Blackstone i currently have is gluttonous, my wife tells me. I would give up the WSM to make room. Wise move?
There are certainly other ways to get a hi-temp sear station that are less costly and require less space than a Napoleon 500 grill. That said, the 1800F sear station on it really does a nice job. :rolleyes:

The cook of the ribeyes turned out good but we look forward to continual improvement as time goes on. We did a reverse sear to 115 and then seared to about 130. We were all happy and full and looking forward to our next carnivore treat! Thank you all!

IMG_1822.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

The cook of the ribeyes turned out good but we look forward to continual improvement as time goes on. We did a reverse sear to 115 and then seared to about 130. We were all happy and full and looking forward to our next carnivore treat! Thank you all!

View attachment 19696

View attachment 19697
I read here that a sear on a steak already cooked to 115F or so would not add a lot to the internal temp of the meat.

Continuing my way through the learning process, I’ve found that pulling the meat from my 700 at about 117F and throwing on the gasser for 1.5 or 2 minutes a side is just about perfect.

I try to get the gasser up to at least 600F before throwing the steaks on. Once the meat comes off the 700, I no longer check IT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back