Bull vs Stampede - decisions decisions

Allsmokedup

Fairly new to smoking & have a WSM which love everything about it except for time to set up, trying to get temp set (once there rock solid) & unable to do 2 temp step cooking, lower for smoking & then finish at high temp, eg wings. Don’t really have the need for a large grill as most of time just 3 of us as oldest in college & don’t do a lot of entertaining.

Considering the following:
1. Coming from a Weber gasser (tired of grease fires, tried replacing parts with no success though it lasted for years before the fires) the Stampede closer to the size grill accustom to. Obviously this grill will replace the Weber gasser & most likely the WSM.
2. Really like the look of the Bull. Also, not sure how I like the looks of the vent extensions (rain concern). Wish the Stampede was just a smaller version of the Bull.
3. Since the Bull is larger, how much longer would take it take to reach a desired temperature of 450*?
4. Looking at purchasing a portable grill also (probably smaller than trailblazer) when cooking only a couple items & being able to take on vacation, day trips, etc. so the money difference between grills & accessories really adds up.
- on a side note for anybody that has the trailblazer, if opt for a trailblazer, concerned about stability since unit width looks small with 20 lb hopper on side & legs not angled like the Bull.
5. When grilling in less than optimal conditions, i.e. rain, should I need to be concerned with trying to cover electronics as will be easier to cover the side shelf of the Bull since grill will be on uncovered patio?

Last edited:
Fairly new to smoking & have a WSM which love everything about it except for time to set up, trying to get temp set (once there rock solid) & unable to do 2 temp step cooking, lower for smoking & then finish at high temp, eg wings. Don’t really have the need for a large grill as most of time just 3 of us as oldest in college & don’t do a lot of entertaining.

Considering the following:
1. Coming from a Weber gasser (tired of grease fires, tried replacing parts with no success though it lasted for years before the fires) the Stampede closer to the size grill accustom to. Obviously this grill will replace the Weber gasser & most likely the WSM.
2. Really like the look of the Bull. Also, not sure how I like the looks of the vent extensions (rain concern). Wish the Stampede was just a smaller version of the Bull.
3. Since the Bull is larger, how much longer would take it take to reach a desired temperature of 450*?
4. Looking at purchasing a portable grill also (probably smaller than trailblazer) when cooking only a couple items & being able to take on vacation, day trips, etc. so the money difference between grills & accessories really adds up.
- on a side note, if opt for a trailblazer, concerned about stability since unit width looks small with 20 lb hopper on side & legs not angled like the Bull.
5. When grilling in less than optimal conditions, i.e. rain, should I need to be concerned with trying to cover electronics as will be easier to cover the side shelf of the Bull since grill will be on uncovered patio?
The thing you have to remember is the actual cooking surface on these pellet grills is only the size of the drip pan so you loose a few inches all around. You don't want to have food overhang the drip pan or you will get dripping and grease in the lower barrel area and possibly have a grease fire.
All the grills reach temperatures within minuets of each other and pellet usage is similar too.

The thing you have to remember is the actual cooking surface on these pellet grills is only the size of the drip pan so you loose a few inches all around. You don't want to have food overhang the drip pan or you will get dripping and grease in the lower barrel area and possibly have a grease fire.
All the grills reach temperatures within minuets of each other and pellet usage is similar too.

Thanks!

It's only the two of us empty nesters, occasionally have guests and at times larger parties, well not so much this year. We were tossing the Bull vs Stampede size around last year and decided on the Bull, had it for a year now and have no regrets. For the extra $300, design and build quality it was a no brainer for us, plus it has more accessories to spend extra $$ on.

I chose the bull over the stampede for a few reasons.
1- better warranty
2- chimney vs vents
3- rear pellet hopper
And I though it looked better lol. I have no regrets getting the bull. It’s just the wife and I so the size is a bit overkill but I’d rather have a little extra than not enough. Good luck with what ever one you chose you will not be disappointed.

1- better warranty
2- chimney vs vents
3- rear pellet hopper
And I though it looked better lol. I have no regrets getting the bull. It’s just the wife and I so the size is a bit overkill but I’d rather have a little extra than not enough. Good luck with what ever one you chose you will not be disappointed.
Totally agree

1- better warranty
2- chimney vs vents
3- rear pellet hopper

Thanks for information!

Back hopper lid not much use when hood is open. Was just my take before purchasing. Guess I didn't really look to see how heavy duty the controller shelf on the bull is.

Bull is only 6" wider than 590 . $300 to me wasn't worth it. Do gain 2 yrs on warranty. Like the side hopper better as it is another usable shelf.

Thanks for your input. Either would be large enough for my needs so the 6” wider is not a factor. It’s the other attributes of the Bull that keep it under consideration.

I have the trailblazer and it is plenty sturdy and it is also portable.

I went with the 590. The size difference wasn't worth the extra 300 bucks to me. It would have been different if I needed the space. Sounds like you are in the same boat.

I'll add... I talked to RecTec about the difference in warranty. They said the Bull got 2 more years because it is built with heavier steel and would take longer to burn out. I don't cook often enough for that to be a concern.

I'll add... I talked to RecTec about the difference in warranty. They said the Bull got 2 more years because it is built with heavier steel and would take longer to burn out. I don't cook often enough for that to be a concern.
Thanks for your input. Will keep that in mind as do tend to cook a lot on the grill.

I recognize they told you that, but it's positively laughable.

I struggled with the same decision you have and I ended up getting the Stampede. It’s only been a month but I’ve been using it several times a week and so far I have no regrets. I haven’t made anything where I wished I had more space. And I know most people like the look of the Bull for the stack but I really like the octagon shape of the Stampede, so I’m happy with the look of it too.

I was in the same boat and chose Stampede because I also have a 6 burner Weber Summit, so did not think I needed the extra 6”. Since, I made the right decision because I can still cook 3 butts or 4 racks of ribs with plenty of room.

I went with the 590 and have no regrets at all. I spent the extra money I would have spent for the 700 on pellets, grill cover, vents, and stainless shelf. I have been happy with my decision. I did like the look of the 700 better but I felt like I was wasting my money. I am sure you will be happy with whatever decision you make. I also feel like the extra 2 years of warranty for the 700 is built into the price. Nothing is free.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back