Bull Bull has been ordered- Is the Comp Cart A MUST HAVE?

MeatMeister

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I ordered my 700 last week and have been doing more reading on this forum and wherever else I can find. I'm needing to decide ASAP if I need a competition cart so I can add it to my order before shipping.
Or are there any other good options (cabinets, stands. carts) to consider outside of the comp cart?

I will be putting the bull on my back patio where it will live and wont be moving it much. But I dont want to worry about it tipping over either. Does the cop cart have storage underneath?

I have the comp cart and love it except for the lost storage. My son doesn’t have the comp cart and is more than happy with it. I got mine 1/2 off with my grill so it was a much easier decision. I’d wait and see how you like it without the comp cart. If you want it later maybe they’ll have another promotion on it. Others on this forum have modified rolling toolboxes to make a taller cart with storage. Hopefully they will chime in to show you other options.

If you're going to move the grill regularly, I'd get the cart. The stock swivel casters have been known to fail just going in & out of a garage. If you aren't going to move it, then no need. It's also possible to upgrade those swivel casters only (not a full wheel mod) or to upgrade later to the cart.

I move mine and the cart makes life easy. I moved my Bull last night from the back patio to the garage because of the forecasted rain and was just thinking what a sound purchase the cart was. I think it makes a big difference if you have the smoke box on it when moving.

I like the open storage underneath myself and just move in & out of the garage with no issues. I could buy a Bullseye with those kind of $$ is how I see it.

I never had it so I don't know what I'm missing. Mine does stay put, but if I had the money, I'd get it. Kind like chrome on a motorcycle. Sorry, not much help on this one...

I have have the comp cart on my 700. I move it out from my garage and back in again every time I cook on it. I am very glad I have it. If you’re not going to move it much then no. Don’t get it. But if you’re going to move it on a regular basis, no matter how far, then if you can afford it, get it.

i really like the look of the competition cart. but its really expensive. i could buy 150lbs of ribs for that money lol. my stock rt 700 definitely doesn’t wobble or anything and feels very strong and i use the the lower shelf.

Have you ever heard the expression; "You don't know what you don't know"? @Blues1 pretty much got it right. If you had one and ever used it you'd likely say "damn, I'm glad I got that." If you chose not to for whatever good reason you applied, you'll justify that decision as well. The stock wheel arrangement on any of the RT products is adequate for "average" situations (hint, that's not exactly a compliment, but not a negative assessment either). It really is a judgement call depending on what your personal standards are. The one thing that RT did poorly was not allow for better use of the space under the cooker in the Comp Cart. I've got one on my 590 that I modified so that I can get all of the interior components of the grill, or other desired objects, underneath. It was a fairly easy mod for me to do, but I have fab skills and lot's of tools. If RT offered the cart with the configuration I employed I'd give the cart a resounding endorsement. I've got my 590 for sale right now and describe the mod and it's benefits in the ad and not a single person has followed up on the info. Again, it's a "don't know" situation. Another way of helping you figure this out: if you're the type that thinks the lowest price econo car is good enough to get you back and forth from point A to point B, then the comp cart probably won't be of value to you unless you can clearly identify physical constraints in your usage, such as very uneven surfaces you'll traverse with regularity. But if you're someone who values the up market luxuries of a more plush interior, quieter/smoother ride, better sound system, and so on, then you'll be a prime candidate to appreciate what the comp cart will give you.

Here's what a broken swivel caster looks like on an RT-700

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_105211.jpg
    IMG_20200719_105211.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 113
I ordered my 700 last week and have been doing more reading on this forum and wherever else I can find. I'm needing to decide ASAP if I need a competition cart so I can add it to my order before shipping.
Or are there any other good options (cabinets, stands. carts) to consider outside of the comp cart?

I will be putting the bull on my back patio where it will live and wont be moving it much. But I dont want to worry about it tipping over either. Does the cop cart have storage underneath?

The new RecTeq Bulls come with an updated leg assembly compared to when I purchased my RT-700. Back in my days :)D) the legs where straight and made the grill to unstable for my liking.

Which is why I did the RecTeq leg mod to give it a bit wider stance and larger wheels.

The new RecTeq's come with legs that flare out a bit. I have never used them so I can't comment on them.

All that said, the comp cart looks really cool and very stable - my issue with it is the lack of storage. At least the other stands had a little rack, however useful it might be to someone, it at least had something. The comp cart has nothing.

My fix for it all was to build my own custom recteq bull cart which is now much wider than the stock RecTeq base, four turning caster wheels, and a weather resistant toolbox providing storage.

All that said, if you want storage then the newer stock legs should work just fine for you as I'm sure it's more stable than the straight legs mine had a few years ago.

If you're handy enough, then look at building your own cart and getting exactly what you want.

Have you ever heard the expression; "You don't know what you don't know"? @Blues1 pretty much got it right. If you had one and ever used it you'd likely say "damn, I'm glad I got that." If you chose not to for whatever good reason you applied, you'll justify that decision as well. The stock wheel arrangement on any of the RT products is adequate for "average" situations (hint, that's not exactly a compliment, but not a negative assessment either). It really is a judgement call depending on what your personal standards are. The one thing that RT did poorly was not allow for better use of the space under the cooker in the Comp Cart. I've got one on my 590 that I modified so that I can get all of the interior components of the grill, or other desired objects, underneath. It was a fairly easy mod for me to do, but I have fab skills and lot's of tools. If RT offered the cart with the configuration I employed I'd give the cart a resounding endorsement. I've got my 590 for sale right now and describe the mod and it's benefits in the ad and not a single person has followed up on the info. Again, it's a "don't know" situation. Another way of helping you figure this out: if you're the type that thinks the lowest price econo car is good enough to get you back and forth from point A to point B, then the comp cart probably won't be of value to you unless you can clearly identify physical constraints in your usage, such as very uneven surfaces you'll traverse with regularity. But if you're someone who values the up market luxuries of a more plush interior, quieter/smoother ride, better sound system, and so on, then you'll be a prime candidate to appreciate what the comp cart will give you.
Thanks for this. I think you nailed it. At the end of the day I dont think the value is there for me personballs as I dont plan to move it all that much and I would hate to lose the storage.
Thanks everyone for your help on the matter.

BULL ARRIVES TOMORROW!!!!

i drive a silverado 2500hd with basic cloth seats and basic radio. i paid the extra for the strong drive train and saved on the interior. kinda like my grill. got the bull without the extras. but with saying that i will be checking in the scratch and dent section at rec teq fest for a comp cart. if i can find one for $200 i will buy it but that’s about all its worth for my needs. i definitely want the second rack and a front shelf though. i rate the front shelf and second rack higher for my needs and will gladly pay full price for them. the decisions are different for each person though. your going to love the grill

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back