Stampede Brisket, Flat

Kedscar

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So, Costco was out of the whole Brisket, and I picked up a 8 lb Flat. Having never cooked Brisket, but read every recipe in the world for a whole brisket, what should I do different with a Flat? Maybe same rub and prep, maybe injection, but what temp to cook (225 or 250) what time to expect for cook, still wrap at 165 and pull at 203? Thanks, want to be perfect for Fathers Day!

Yes, you can basically handle the same as a full packer. Obviously the flat is thinner so it will take less time. I like injecting the flat with beef broth as moisture insurance, but I don't think it's mandatory. Personally I'd start at 225, wrap around 165 and probe for tenderness around 195 to 203.

I have no idea why 203 seems to always be a good number, but it has for me. Just note that 203 in the thinnest part of the flat will arrive before the thicker end and you may have to go beyond 203 in the thinnest part to get the tenderness and rendering out of the thicker part.

If you wanted, you could do your cook on a rack over a baking pan to capture and re-introduce the juices when resting.

Good luck on your cook.

Yes, you can basically handle the same as a full packer. Obviously the flat is thinner so it will take less time. I like injecting the flat with beef broth as moisture insurance, but I don't think it's mandatory. Personally I'd start at 225, wrap around 165 and probe for tenderness around 195 to 203.

I have no idea why 203 seems to always be a good number, but it has for me. Just note that 203 in the thinnest part of the flat will arrive before the thicker end and you may have to go beyond 203 in the thinnest part to get the tenderness and rendering out of the thicker part.

If you wanted, you could do your cook on a rack over a baking pan to capture and re-introduce the juices when resting.

Good luck on your cook.
@Pacman gave you great guidance on cooking a flat. It is just a mini-brisket that will cook a bit quicker, so watch your temps when it gets close to the desired IT because things can change pretty quickly.

Good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewDualfire1200
Back