Brisket flat too thin?

Tmartin

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Question for the brisket experts. After trimming my brisket the 6 inches of the flat is very thin. Less than one inch in some spots. Would it be best to cut off the flat and smoke it separately? I don’t want to end up with a big hunk of very expensive beef jerky…

I'd grind it in to burger meat.

My guess is it'll be too dry for much else.

I always try and see a couple of things when buying a brisket: How flexible is the brisket I am buying? I try and see how well the flat side will bend (sometimes the package will prevent this). Is the brisket "hard"? I like to press it with my fingers a bit to see how much hard fat is on the brisket. You're gonna cut this stuff off anyway, so why buy it? Lastly, I like to look at the flat and see how thick it is. Thicker is better.

Of course, sometimes you are just going to get a clunker brisket regardless. It will still taste great, but I always say "challenge accepted" when I get one. Thin flat.....ok, lets trim that area off and do something else with it. You can still smoke it, but obviously not as long, but get it done as you can without drying it out to much. Take it out, chop it up to use in beans, soups, etc. Use it for burnt "other ends", as mentioned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back