Brisket $1.97 lb

BowDown

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
FYI, those of you near a Market Street (part of HEB) select brisket is $1.97lb limit 2

20220212_115229.jpg

Been a while since I have seen brisket pricing like that around me. I really want to do another decent one but at the prices these days I'm buying ribeyes instead :).

Fingers crossed I can get this pricing one day again here.

Last edited:
Wow, that's an amazing deal. Hope you have freezer space to stock up on a few!

Yep, bought a 7cf freezer during black Friday, plenty of room. I've got a couple wagyu briskets that I caught on sale in it already. I think I'll hold at 6 briskets.

Unless Costco puts primes on sale again:unsure:

My concern is that it's "Select" which might make the brisket pretty tough. I never go below "Choice" and when buying steaks, I almost always go with Prime. Just my take and maybe Select will be okay. I know quite often the store here sells Select Tenderloin for like $8.99 a pound but I've never bought it. It's not worth buying it at that price only to find out the meat has little flavor and is tough.

I have found that the history of low and slow cooking "smoking" was designed to make use of the lowest quality cut of meat, consequently, brisket, which used to be the lowest quality meat, has been popularized by who? US folks that have machines to cook it low and slow and who know how to enhance the flavor with rubs and injections.
I have smoked all grades of brisket and found that I am in control of the tenderness and the flavor profile of them. I have a local butcher shop who is not cheap, but has all grades which used to be reasonably priced, so I could experiment. So don't judge the brisket by the grade. Learn to make it the way you like just like in the old days.

You folks probably know Malcolm? Take some pointers from him, he does 6 briskets at a time!

https://howtobbqright.com/

Cooking meat is a journey, not a destination!

Have a blessed day at the grill!

I have found that the history of low and slow cooking "smoking" was designed to make use of the lowest quality cut of meat, consequently, brisket, which used to be the lowest quality meat, has been popularized by who? US folks that have machines to cook it low and slow and who know how to enhance the flavor with rubs and injections.
I have smoked all grades of brisket and found that I am in control of the tenderness and the flavor profile of them. I have a local butcher shop who is not cheap, but has all grades which used to be reasonably priced, so I could experiment. So don't judge the brisket by the grade. Learn to make it the way you like just like in the old days.

You folks probably know Malcolm? Take some pointers from him, he does 6 briskets at a time!

https://howtobbqright.com/

Cooking meat is a journey, not a destination!

Have a blessed day at the grill!

Mad scientist has said the same thing.
Primes are $6lb anywhere near me right now so I can afford to experiment on a $2lb select but trustfully, you are 100% correct.
The only caveat would be really cheap cuts like Wal-Mart but you can still pick a nice select brisket if you know what you're looking for.

Grading stamps on anything other than a ribeye can be very misleading. You really have to look at each specific piece of meat. Often times I find choice cuts at Costco that are just as good and sometimes better than Prime.

When beef is graded, the inspector considers the ribeye marbling between the 12th and 13th rib, the age of the animal based on the color of the meat at that spot and the bone to cartilage ratio to determine the approximate age of the animal (under 30 months for Prime, Choice and Select). The intramuscular fat in other areas of the carcass can be very different from that particular spot on that particular animal.

If you are going to buy a Select grade make sure you look for one with the most marbling you can find. Also when you buy Prime you want to check the marbling as well because you might not get what you are paying for. The brisket is a long way from the ribeye so while the grading stamp gives you a reasonable assurance you are getting a higher or lower quality of meat it isn’t a guarantee it’s better or worse than others. I’m not saying you can find a Select that is really Prime but you can certainly find Selects that are better than others and will cook up pretty well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back