Corned beef brisket point - FAIL

Bmr23

Hello All, looking for some advice from the experts. Ive been cooking on my RT540 for a few years now and I've done several briskets, both flats and whole packers. I saw some corned beef points at Aldi and picked up a 3.5 lb one for me and my wife on St. Patty's Day. I've always found the point to be more tender and have beer flavor although I realize this is subjective.

After Googling a lot I used the following method: I soaked the point in water for 24 hours, changing the water 3 times (I read that it may be too salty if you don't do this), trimmed the excess fat off and made a rub of pepper, paprika, and brown sugar. I cooked it at 200-225 with a pan of water below it (had to add water OFTEN) until it reached 160 then put it in a half pan and added beef broth. I sealed this up and continued until it reached 200. I had such high hopes but it wasn't nearly as tender as I remember other brisket points being. Was it just low grade meat since I got it Aldi or did I do something wrong? Or, is corned beef just never as tender as a regular brisket? Thanks in advance

Did you check it for probe tenderness before you pulled it from the grill? Or, were you just going by temperature? I’ve had briskets go well beyond 200F before they were probe tender.
I did Jim, It seemed pretty soft but maybe I should have let it go longer? It still had quite a bit of "chew" to it, but had great flavor. I just wanted it to be like brisket burnt end texture, maybe I was expecting too much?

Agreed, I didn't see that before I did the cook on any of the sites I googled. It actually took a lot longer than I expected a 3.5lb point to take to get to 160 so I was ready to get it off after it hit 200. I think I will grind up the leftovers and make corned beef hash. When life gives you lemons.........

I've had this issue too, and while curing might be part of it, I don't think a liquid bath works as well at lower temps. I cook mine just like a brisket, which includes wrapping. I've found probe across grain gives a diff feel for points because they have huge fat pockets.

Not an expert but I eat a lot! Corned beef is a beast. You have to take it beyond reasonableness (~208-210). You can ‘cheat’ the process by injecting and creating a slow internal boil but other than that, your technique was solid. One additional factor, Aldi may have good prices but in my area, they don’t have the best quality meat. One additional comment, your sizing was a bit on the small size so I don’t think you started with a fair chance. Not a lot of marbling in a cut that small. May all your future cooks remind you of this one and you will be OK.

Not an expert but I eat a lot! Corned beef is a beast. You have to take it beyond reasonableness (~208-210). You can ‘cheat’ the process by injecting and creating a slow internal boil but other than that, your technique was solid. One additional factor, Aldi may have good prices but in my area, they don’t have the best quality meat. One additional comment, your sizing was a bit on the small size so I don’t think you started with a fair chance. Not a lot of marbling in a cut that small. May all your future cooks remind you of this one and you will be OK.
Agreed about Aldi, I don't usually buy meat there expecting it be super high quality but I saw the points which they don't usually have and grabbed one. I solved the problem by grinding it all up and making corned beef hash, it was delicous!

Agreed about Aldi, I don't usually buy meat there expecting it be super high quality but I saw the points which they don't usually have and grabbed one. I solved the problem by grinding it all up and making corned beef hash, it was delicous!
When presented with lemons, make lemonade. Well played!

Just buy a prime brisket and make your own corn beef.. Much better and high quality.. Smoke also looks like pastrami... Remember that all of the great Jewish deli's "Steam" their meat for 2-3 hours of longer... After I cook corn beef I always take the amount I will be using and steam it, always Hot-juicy-wonderfulness.. Cook-Steam-Slice....

I'm late to this thread but here's my $0.02 worth. Wife bought a corned beef and we decided that smoking would possibly dry it out unwrapped; therefore, if we were wrapping it might as well be done in the oven. Wrapped tightly in foil cooked at 250F until 212F and probed tender. Opened and broiled fat side for a few minutes. It was tender, but sliced well. BTW, I come from an Irish family that boiled the corned beef w/ vegetables. This is better !!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back