Does anyone use molasses in brine for pork shoulder

okie

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
Anyone have a brine recipe that includes Molasses?

Have not but i do use plenty of sugar for other things. If your going to use it in a wet brine really diluted i suspect it will act much like sugar. The thicker it is the harder and more potentially burnt the crust will get on a long cook. If i were going to use it straight, it would be as a coating towards the end (like a thick sugary sauce on ribs). The end being subjective and would have to be played with to figure out the consistency and timing to yield the results you are looking for.

Thanks for your response. Might consider using brown or regular sugar instead. Would you season the brine or wait until ready to cook?

I’ve used molasses as a binder to hold the rub. Binders are not mandatory, but it contributes to a nice dark bark. Don’t use too much or it will prevent the smoke from contacting the meat.

I’ve used the pork butt recipe on the Recteq site, which uses a molasses/Dijon mustard mixture prior to the rub, and it was fantastic. (Full disclosure - I didn’t use the same rubs they called for, but I did follow the molasses/mustard part).

I have used the molasses Dijon base 3 times and it worked great. I added some sweet and spicy bbq sauce the the molasses Dijon base the last time with different rubs. Came out great. I use cheap mustard on ribs.

I rub with molasses and the apply rub, I think it makes a difference in the bark and is my go to every time now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back