Bull Bone In Skin On Chicken Thighs Question

Torqh

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So my first cook was some chicken thighs. They were bone in and skin on. The chicken came out perfect but the skin was like shoe leather. What do I need to do to make sure the skin is edible next time? I was smoking at 325 until the internal temp was about 163 to let it finish while resting.

Last time I did, I tossed them on 460° sear plates to crisp'n to finish them off.

I have smoked rear quarters several times in my Trailblazer. I typically go around 4 hours at 235. I tend to take the dark meat up to a higher temp ~175-185 and a short rest. I like how the texture and pull of the darker meat is at that higher temp. It's not a breast so no worry in it drying out. I don't eat too much of the skin, but it does have a good crispiness to it, not tough at all. My family doesn't complain, so that's "usually" a good indicator.

Yeah higher heat is the trick for RecTec chicken...lower smoking temps seem to make great chicken ,but rubbery skin. Try 325 + and see if that changes it to your liking.

I have the same issue with rubber chicken skin.

I will try the higher heat - and I do also have the sear-plates, but I usually put them in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp up the skins -

I also like how the forum software puts related posts below the topic, I found this one when I posted almost exactly the same thing.

I have to do better at searching first...

best

mqqn

So my first cook was some chicken thighs. They were bone in and skin on. The chicken came out perfect but the skin was like shoe leather. What do I need to do to make sure the skin is edible next time? I was smoking at 325 until the internal temp was about 163 to let it finish while resting.
I had the same problem the
I had the same problem. Skin was so tough you couldn't eat it. And thats where all the smoke flavor is. I'm trying higher temps tonight.

If you start them at lower temps for a short while you have to finish them at high temp, all while ending at 165ish. It’s a juggling act. I usually finish on the sear grates, gets good skin And keeps them juicy. And juicy is what its all about. ??

I had the same problem the

I had the same problem. Skin was so tough you couldn't eat it. And thats where all the smoke flavor is. I'm trying higher temps tonight.
So I tried preheating to 380f then put the chicken skin side up for 20 mins. Then turned over for 10 more. It came out so much better than last time. No leather. I think I'd add another 5 mins just to crisp the skin a little more. The flavor was great.

I cooked chicken hindquarters this time. Cooked at 380f skin side up for 30 mins then flipped over skin side down for 20. Chicken internal temp on probes read 178 and 181 on two pieces. Pulled out one probe still had blood. Flipped back over and cooked 10 more mins. Probes read 191 and 198. Perfect. Let rest covered in small ice chest for 20 mins. Came out juicy and great flavor. Just enough smoke for me made this chicken way better than the gas grill I usually use.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
semonian
Back