Blackstone or comparable griddle owners here?

Motodad1776

Premium Member!
Premium Member
I have just ventured into the griddle world, did my first "successful" cook yesterday consisting of home fries and NY strips.......did not disappoint. Thinking today is gonna be smashburger time, need to head to Ace Hardware to get my SMASHER! Anyone else venture into this realm of cooking, what do you have, tips and tricks, and of course.......RECIPES!!!! I have the latest model Blackstone Omnivore 36", used their seasoning concoction "highly recommend", and damn if ole Blackstone doesn't have all kinds of accessories and goodies for these griddles. I am not a fan overall of Youtube, but the number of vids concerning griddle cooking is amazing. I have been threatening to get one for the last few years, and now I can see what all the hoopla is about........pretty sure I am done with any gas grill going forward.

Knew you would love it :).

Breakfast for dinner never disappoints.. and you just can't beat the ribeye reverse sear.

So many options you just have to go one by one.

Pepper & onions dishes w beef/chiken like stirfry

Fried rice

Cheesesteaks

Grilled cheese

Possibilities are endless..

I have just ventured into the griddle world, did my first "successful" cook yesterday consisting of home fries and NY strips.......did not disappoint. Thinking today is gonna be smashburger time, need to head to Ace Hardware to get my SMASHER! Anyone else venture into this realm of cooking, what do you have, tips and tricks, and of course.......RECIPES!!!! I have the latest model Blackstone Omnivore 36", used their seasoning concoction "highly recommend", and damn if ole Blackstone doesn't have all kinds of accessories and goodies for these griddles. I am not a fan overall of Youtube, but the number of vids concerning griddle cooking is amazing. I have been threatening to get one for the last few years, and now I can see what all the hoopla is about........pretty sure I am done with any gas grill going forward.
Motodad1776,

Welcome to the wonderful world of griddling. I think that you will enjoy yourself. You may be overwhelmed with the variety of accessories that Blackstone and other companies offer. It all boils down (no pun intended) to two heavy duty, high-quality spatulas, typically with the offset handles and a good bench/table scraper, that can be used with paper towels for griddle cleaning. In addition to those accessories it’s not a bad thing to have two or three squeeze bottles; one that holds water, one that holds your favorite oil, and one that has a liquified butter in it. Additional items include a steamer cover (great for veggies), a small cooking rack that can raise your cooked foods above the griddle surface to keep things warm, and some good cast iron that can keep things from “running away” on the griddle and come in handy if used properly to keep your cooks organized and warm when staging and cooking other foods. All these items can be kept near the griddle during cooking and used depending on what proteins or vegetables you desire to cook on any given day. From a maintenance perspective, I recommend the Blackstone’s griddle/cast-iron seasoning grease as you will need to keep a good but not overwhelming amount on your grill after each “cook and clean” to give you a rock solid seasoning that will be hard to destroy. There are many Y-Tube videos addressing griddle care so I will save you from my description on this site. Note: I acknowledge high temperature oils can be used instead but they tend to leave residue that attracts insects and similar critters who also like to eat off griddles and I don’t like to share, haha. Another quick tip is if you are going to use a cover, make sure to put a piece of wood or something non-metallic near the griddle’s center so you don’t have any pooling of water right on top of your griddle surface. Many a well seasoned griddle has been destroyed by the humidity or moisture wicking through the cover and onto the griddles surface. You can thank me later.

Motodad1776,

Welcome to the wonderful world of griddling. I think that you will enjoy yourself. You may be overwhelmed with the variety of accessories that Blackstone and other companies offer. It all boils down (no pun intended) to two heavy duty, high-quality spatulas, typically with the offset handles and a good bench/table scraper, that can be used with paper towels for griddle cleaning. In addition to those accessories it’s not a bad thing to have two or three squeeze bottles; one that holds water, one that holds your favorite oil, and one that has a liquified butter in it. Additional items include a steamer cover (great for veggies), a small cooking rack that can raise your cooked foods above the griddle surface to keep things warm, and some good cast iron that can keep things from “running away” on the griddle and come in handy if used properly to keep your cooks organized and warm when staging and cooking other foods. All these items can be kept near the griddle during cooking and used depending on what proteins or vegetables you desire to cook on any given day. From a maintenance perspective, I recommend the Blackstone’s griddle/cast-iron seasoning grease as you will need to keep a good but not overwhelming amount on your grill after each “cook and clean” to give you a rock solid seasoning that will be hard to destroy. There are many Y-Tube videos addressing griddle care so I will save you from my description on this site. Note: I acknowledge high temperature oils can be used instead but they tend to leave residue that attracts insects and similar critters who also like to eat off griddles and I don’t like to share, haha. Another quick tip is if you are going to use a cover, make sure to put a piece of wood or something non-metallic near the griddle’s center so you don’t have any pooling of water right on top of your griddle surface. Many a well seasoned griddle has been destroyed by the humidity or moisture wicking through the cover and onto the griddles surface. You can thank me later.
Sir
You are 100% spot on - Great information, we use ours at least once a week
PS - I can't resist - I just took a spatchcock chicken off our BGE - Yum - Had to give it some attention
My Diversity Plan
RT 1070
Lg - BGE
28" Blackstone griddle
Weber Gas Grill
Louisaina 700 Grill

Motodad1776,

Yet again.....more awesome advice/experience from someone I admire greatly here. I have already done or purchased most of what you have mentioned and have already utilized such, and the smash burgers were a SMASHING success!! I also did some yummy sautéed Asian style zucchini strips that were "very good" and will be doing again. Tip for perfect sized 80/20 ground chuck smash burger balls, is a 1/4 cup scoop and "lightly" pack and roll into a meatball. Used brioche buns "toasted of course" and all burgers were double stacks. :)

Philly cheesesteaks are certainly in my future. :) My son wants Smashburger again today, will be the perfect quick/yummy meal for me to make after a long day of riding.

Philly cheesesteaks are certainly in my future. :) My son wants Smashburger again today, will be the perfect quick/yummy meal for me to make after a long day of riding.
Your son has good taste 👍

I have a 22" Adventure Series Blackstone I use at least 3 times a week. I mainly do breakfast foods for the wife and I. Dinner is usually on the 700 or 380X. I do stir fry's and burger type meals (smashburger, patty melts, etc) on it occasionally. Advice already given is great and spot on so I won't rehash it. I am looking at the Smokestone for my next griddle but waiting on yearly reviews. I might do another Blackstone instead just not sure yet.

You will enjoy it!

I have a Grilla Grills Primate. I primarily use it with the full-sized griddle on it. It certainly broadens my cooking repertoire.

On reverse sears, I’ll cook my steaks on the RT-700 then slap ‘em on the Primate for the quick sear. (Using the grill’s stainless steel grates with high gas heat would be the norm. But I typically keep the griddle on for those quick cooks…smash burgers, breakfast for dinner, philly cheesesteaks, stir-fries, etc.

I have a Grilla Grills Primate. I primarily use it with the full-sized griddle on it. It certainly broadens my cooking repertoire.

On reverse sears, I’ll cook my steaks on the RT-700 then slap ‘em on the Primate for the quick sear. (Using the grill’s stainless steel grates with high gas heat would be the norm. But I typically keep the griddle on for those quick cooks…smash burgers, breakfast for dinner, philly cheesesteaks, stir-fries, etc.
TheRicker,

I agree that a griddle plate accessory has its own special purpose and is very functional, but the similarities end at that point. All my cooking devices have the ability to act as a griddle with the right contraption added. In my inventory I have them from Le Creuset, Lodge, Griswold, and others. However, there is something about putting away the baseball cap and putting on my short order chef hat, that makes griddling fun!!! Slinging things around the griddle like a drunk chef at a Benihana’s appeals to my lizard brain every time. Further, not having to watch morsels of good food fall into the fire-breathers belly, never to be seen again, makes me sadder than a nightclub owner in the Philippines when they closed the US bases. When it comes to clean up, a water bottle filled with water and a good scraper/spatula can also be fun for my outdoor cookery. For anyone that thinks the grill grates or griddle plate solutions are a 1 to 1 translation for a decent griddle experience are missing out on yet another cooking adventure. YMMV.

TheRicker,

I agree that a griddle plate accessory has its own special purpose and is very functional, but the similarities end at that point. All my cooking devices have the ability to act as a griddle with the right contraption added. In my inventory I have them from Le Creuset, Lodge, Griswold, and others. However, there is something about putting away the baseball cap and putting on my short order chef hat, that makes griddling fun!!! Slinging things around the griddle like a drunk chef at a Benihana’s appeals to my lizard brain every time. Further, not having to watch morsels of good food fall into the fire-breathers belly, never to be seen again, makes me sadder than a nightclub owner in the Philippines when they closed the US bases. When it comes to clean up, a water bottle filled with water and a good scraper/spatula can also be fun for my outdoor cookery. For anyone that thinks the grill grates or griddle plate solutions are a 1 to 1 translation for a decent griddle experience are missing out on yet another cooking adventure. YMMV.
Wow @SmokeZilla I never thought of it like that🤣 Now that you put it that way I am tempted to make the leap, my budget, space and SWSNBN are saying not so fast fat boy. 🤔

I keep hearing about this "smash burger" yet ive seen nothing ..... .

pics-or-it-5b96f5.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back