Best rub for pulled pork

Hawkeye 16

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Curious what the consensus is on the best shelf bought or home made rub for pulled pork?! I’ve been using a combo of Heath Riles and Cookies flavor enhancer but ready for something new for this weekends cook. 10 lb pork butt on an RT590. Thanks!

Great question. With all due respect, the best one is the invisible one on the empty shelf. I know you will get a number of recommendations but the turn off for me with most store bought seasonings for this purpose is they list their ingredients by volume and salt is always in the top 3 ingredients. I am not afraid of salt but paying exorbitant prices for a bottle that can be up to 50% salt drove me to making my own. I can’t wait to see the battle lines drawn on this topic though.

Famous Daves rib rub is my go-to store bought, can be found at most big box store grocery ......but yeah this question is gonna be very much up for debate. I do half Famous Daves and half Cavender's Greek seasoning on most occasions. I'd say that overall......the Meat Church line is the most popular and for good reasons.

I have been using the recipe from the Hey Grill Hey site for her sweet rub. Sometimes i use a small amount of granulated honey to it for a little different taste profile. I did 70# of pulled pork for my granddaughters graduation reception and another 30# to for food at a fun fly for our RC airplane club and got rave revues. If you go to the site she sells the rub or has the recipe listed for free.

Same as above, HGH’s Sweet Rub that I make, she posts the recipe. I’ve tried a few store bought and a few other home made but see no need to change from Susie’s. I have experimented with various cayenne and I think salt levels.

I have been using the recipe from the Hey Grill Hey site for her sweet rub. Sometimes i use a small amount of granulated honey to it for a little different taste profile. I did 70# of pulled pork for my granddaughters graduation reception and another 30# to for food at a fun fly for our RC airplane club and got rave revues. If you go to the site she sells the rub or has the recipe listed for free.
^^^ This ^^^ Don't waste your money on store brands. Start with this one and tweak to your taste. I make all of my rubs - not rocket science.

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

I haven't bought a rub in 10 to 15 years. I like HGH like others and I also make my own version of Meathead's Memphis Dust.

I really like the weber kansas city rubs for butts. Its available at walmart, and has a flavor that will please nearly anyone but probably not win any competitions. I used it for a large gathering to feed 75 people pulled pork and it was a hit with everyone.
IMG_9708.png

I do like to make my own runs at times to, but wonder if sometimes I’m doing an injustice to my cook by not going with something premade - I normally just check around for some online recipes when I do my own, but figured many on this forum have already mastered something far better then what’s on the shelf or on a random website!

I do like to make my own runs at times to, but wonder if sometimes I’m doing an injustice to my cook by not going with something premade - I normally just check around for some online recipes when I do my own, but figured many on this forum have already mastered something far better then what’s on the shelf or on a random website!
I went the "Bad Byron's Butt Rub" route because it is very economical. I then started to experiment with adding different kinds and different amounts of SPOG. I don't think I've ever had anything with the Doctored Butt Rub on it that was bad.

It's a lot of fun to experiment. Give it a shot. It's pretty unlikely that you're going to screw it up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back