Beef Short Ribs

Ribs look good! Well done
I started at 180 for about an hour then 230 for most of the ride. I sprayed with bone broth and a bit of the rub mixed together, when ever they started to look a little dry. First time with Rec Tec competition rub. A definite plus. Was nervous it would take away from beef flavor. It didn’t. Used meat probes, temp 200. Check for tenderness with skewer, went in with little pressure. Sometimes the temp has to be higher for that to happen. Each one is a little different. Hope that helps. ??

I started at 180 for about an hour then 230 for most of the ride. I sprayed with bone broth and a bit of the rub mixed together, when ever they started to look a little dry. First time with Rec Tec competition rub. A definite plus. Was nervous it would take away from beef flavor. It didn’t. Used meat probes, temp 200. Check for tenderness with skewer, went in with little pressure. Sometimes the temp has to be higher for that to happen. Each one is a little different. Hope that helps. ??

Thank you, perfect for what I needed, will be posting pics after I assemble my new grill this week

Ribs came out very tasty, about 7 hours overall. Have another issue however that I would appreciate some advice on. Probes and consistent temps. Likely just need some education.

In a couple of cooks now, similar size cuts, will get 8-12 degrees difference in temps. changed probes to different cuts, same thing. Also, I have a Thermapen, and when I check the temps its all over the place. I can push it in right next to the Stampede probe and sometimes be off by 8-10 degrees, or as close as 2*3 degrees.

Appreciate any thoughts or what I am doing wrong or missing? Hard to cook to temp when pieces of meat side by side vary so much, and then is the Stampede probe reliable vs a Thermapen which says something totally different?

Is this mostly with ribs, or also other cuts? Taking temps with ribs can be tricky due to the bone - they can throw off readings. Thermoworks makes a needle probe for that purpose. In any cut, a pocket of fat or connective tissue can also give a variation. My thought is to use the RT probes to get in the ballpark, but they aren't as accurate as my instant-reads (nor do I expect them to be).

Ribs came out very tasty, about 7 hours overall. Have another issue however that I would appreciate some advice on. Probes and consistent temps. Likely just need some education.

In a couple of cooks now, similar size cuts, will get 8-12 degrees difference in temps. changed probes to different cuts, same thing. Also, I have a Thermapen, and when I check the temps its all over the place. I can push it in right next to the Stampede probe and sometimes be off by 8-10 degrees, or as close as 2*3 degrees.

Appreciate any thoughts or what I am doing wrong or missing? Hard to cook to temp when pieces of meat side by side vary so much, and then is the Stampede probe reliable vs a Thermapen which says something totally different?
Have you ever calibrated your meat probes. Sometimes A good place to start. Rec Tec has a good video so at least you know they register 32 when it’s 32 degrees. ??

The most important thing to do after calibrating the probes is to mark at least one of them to make sure they go back into the same probe ports, I used a small yellow wire tie on the probe A connector where it plugs into the controller.

awesome, thanks. Wealth of knowledge out there, between the auger rate and this, I feel like I'm making progress. maybe RT should add a checklist to ship with grills that tells newbies like me to do X, Y and Z when you first get your grill.

If they do that, what would we do! ? ??
awesome, thanks. Wealth of knowledge out there, between the auger rate and this, I feel like I'm making progress. maybe RT should add a checklist to ship with grills that tells newbies like me to do X, Y and Z when you first get your grill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back