Beef shank

garmp

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. RT-300
Looking to do a beef shank. Don't want it cubed or cut into steaks, but a whole roast. Any one do one of these and have any hints or words of advice?

thanks

A beef shank is not a roast. They are usually braised or maybe you meant roasted which is fine too.
Think of a meat lollipop or something like oxtails if they are sliced.

What I meant is that I do not want it cubed or cut into slices as a steak but rather as a whole piece. Roast might have been a poor choice of words. Have you done any?

I've never done beef shanks, but I've done quite a few pork shanks. I don't know if the technique translates to beef, but here's basically what I do for pork:
  • Wipe down the shank with vinegar to remove some of the gameyness.
  • With a knife, toothpick, pin, etc. completely poke the skin so that you get crispy skin that doesn't shrink as much.
  • With a paring knife create a few incisions in the meat and stud with garlic slivers.
  • Put skewers or toothpicks at the base of the skin to minimize shrinking during roasting.
  • Thoroughly rub with kosher salt and pepper.
  • Please the shank in a roasting pan on top of a bed of sliced onion and maybe a few carrots.
  • Add a decent beer into the roasting pan.
  • Roast at 350 for several hours until meat is probe tender and skin is crispy.
I usually strain off the drippings, deglaze the roasting pan, and make a decent gravy to go with the meat.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

Never seen of a shank with skin on it. The rest of Pacman's ideas sound good.
Red wine and fresh herbs in the braise also add a nice flavor.
You could also smoke first to add more flavor.

@cutplug So that sounds like shredded beef then.

@garmp I have no clue what beef shank costs - but what's the end game? Tacos? On a sub roll with some cheese and giardiniera (broiled to melt the cheese)? Over rice? Bought half a cow and gotta do something?

Never done it - that's why I'm asking. Maybe I need to.....

@cutplug So that sounds like shredded beef then.

@garmp I have no clue what beef shank costs - but what's the end game? Tacos? On a sub roll with some cheese and giardiniera (broiled to melt the cheese)? Over rice? Bought half a cow and gotta do something?

Never done it - that's why I'm asking. Maybe I need to.....
Right! Now I am thinking of doing some. But could be hard to procure for me.
Beef short ribs recently went down to $7.29 lb so that would be a good substitute.

I just smoke mine, on the recteq... prep as you want or as above, 225 until prob tender.. Set on a rack over a pan for the drippings..Yes , lots of silver skin, BUT lots of Beef flavor,makes the trip worth it.. Some Asian meat market counters have boneless shanks...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back