Beef ribs help

cf110814

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I need some help from my bbq community identifying what exactly I was sent. I ordered online what was advertised as a beef short rib plate. It even said in the description it would come 2-4 bones and picture looked like the short rib plates I have made before. What I received was a 6 bone rack labeled as beef chuck short ribs. chuck ribs vs short rib plate gets confusing and I tried doing research online. As far as I know, short rib plates never come with 6 ribs.
Is this a short rib plate with 2 chuck ribs attached? Is this not at all a short rib plate? I'm in a back and forth with the company. They seem nice enough, but are pretty much telling me "tough luck, cook them and enjoy". Will these smoke the same way as a short rib plate? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20210305_095146737_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210305_095146737_MP.jpg
    866.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20210305_095206266_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210305_095206266_MP.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
fair point. Your link is spot on I think. Most times I'd agree about just having fun smoking a new cut I've never made, but these were for my father in laws birthday and i told him specifically i would make him plate ribs. Also I don't appreciate the company sending me an item i didn't order that wasn't cheap ($65 per rack!) and then telling me to go pound sand pretty much! Oh well. Here's to hoping they at least taste good!

You wouldn't believe if I told you what transpired over the last few hrs with this company. This "farmer" told me he is the expert and that I was trying to take advantage of him. Kept pointing to all his wonderful reviews on why he can't be wrong. That because I found proof on the internet chuck ribs and plate ribs are different it doesn't mean anything because it came from the internet. The guy/company is a bully. At best he's uninformed and stubborn. At worst he's trying to pass off a lower quality cut of meat as a higher quality one. I told him it's like ordering a filet at a restaurant, being served sirloin, and the waiter telling me "too bad enjoy it." Basically the only way I could get him to refund me was telling him I wouldn't shame his company publicly or leave negative reviews, so I'll stick to that. His only contingency was that he would refund me if I agreed to never do business with him again. What a world. No problem pal.

Assuming that you don't have to return the ribs (whatever they are), I've cooked both short and plate ribs, and they cook pretty much they same. Only real difference is that I find plate ribs are usually a bit thicker, so they take longer. Other than that, no difference in the process, so you should be fine doing whatever you were planning to do when you thought you were getting plate ribs.

Enjoy! One of my absolute favorites! :)

Rich

Assuming that you don't have to return the ribs (whatever they are), I've cooked both short and plate ribs, and they cook pretty much they same. Only real difference is that I find plate ribs are usually a bit thicker, so they take longer. Other than that, no difference in the process, so you should be fine doing whatever you were planning to do when you thought you were getting plate ribs.

Enjoy! One of my absolute favorites! :)

Rich
Thanks rich. Smoke is rolling now. Appreciate the insight.

@cf110814 sounds like a company I did business with a year or two ago. Hearthstone Farms out of Charleston,ME.
I made it a habit to stay away from them.
I hope you and your family enjoy what you’re cooking. 🙏🏻

A butcher in your local area is always going to be your best choice for quality meats and information on how to prepare and cook it, plus it puts the $$$$ back into your local area.
100% agree. I live in rhode island and we have unfortunately very few independent local butchers. Super markets put all of the good ones out of business. I've searched far and wide for a good local one and haven't been able to find one that has quality cuts. Prime brisket is impossible to find. And I've yet to find one that sells short rib plates.

For what it's worth, we cooked what was sent and it was 100% not plate ribs. There was strange layers of tough fat throughout it that I've never seen on plate ribs. I think this company has been duping unsuspecting people and the owner got mad I realized what he was doing. Quality of the meat wasn't bad, but not what I ordered. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineGriller
Back