First run at beef spare ribs

FF Cory

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I did a search on the forum and didn't get anything definitive on a preferred temperature and cook time. Do you wrap after so long or place them in a pace with some beef broth? Covered or uncovered? Stuff like that. I have done some beef chuck riblets from Walmart before and had decent luck with the 3-2-1 but These are 3x the thickness and 5x the price. Easy-off can is for reference. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you in advance.
IMG_0065.jpeg

I'm was thinking about spices as well. S & P is what I was going to go with or Killer hogs AP seasoning. Any thoughts on that? Just gonna dry rub unless someone else has a better idea.

I'm was thinking about spices as well. S & P is what I was going to go with or Killer hogs AP seasoning. Any thoughts on that? Just gonna dry rub unless someone else has a better idea.
I’m pretty “old school,” but I find the basic SPOG (salt, pepper, onion salt & garlic salt) works very well with most beef cuts. When I get really racy, I add a bit of smoked paprika and some ground celery seed to the SPOG. YMMV

Typically do salt & pepper but have used Holy Cow, Killer Hogs AP with The BBQ rub as well. You can do beef ribs anywhere fro 225 to 275. Of course the lower the temp the greater the smoke. I haven’t done individual ribs before so not sure on the time for those. I do whole racks which may cook differently (They take about 8 hours @ 250).

007C0E86-8738-4EB3-B524-44549D865E0D.jpeg

I did this. I didn’t braise them long enough, and I should have reduced pan size and amount of other ingredients. I did six short ribs, I think, and he did about 15 in his recipe, I think.

I've never cooked the individuals, but I've done the plate (dino) bones many times. SPOG and cook at 225 for around 8 hours. I tried wrapping once, but honestly I didn't like them as much as letting them go exposed for the whole cook.

One thing about beef ribs is they render off fat like crazy so don't overflow your grease bucket. Two 3 bone racks overflowed an empty grease bucket on me once.

Last edited:
After a few small emergencies at home and a few shifts at the FD I finally was able to set the beef ribs in motion this morning. Placed them on this morning at 0900. Pulled at 1200is. Squeeze butter and more rub. Butcher paper and back on for another 3hrs. They looked really great after 3hrs. Standby for an update.

IMG_0065.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg

IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

Sorry. Started the temp at 225 with 2 smoke tubes running, LJ Hickory Char and Recteq ultimate. The hopper had LJ Hickory Char pellets. I raised the temp to 275 after 3hrs for the butcher paper wrap. Waiting to see the result after 3hrs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back