charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I am trying to sort out the basics to pellet grill cooking being that I have never cooked on one. I just need enough to get going till I learn more as I go along. Learning from this forum it appears to me pellet grill cooking is going to be slower than grilling. If I want that good BBQ flavor I need low temp cooking for smoke and then higher temps to get the food to cook in a timely manner. So here is what I think to go by for easiness and timeliness to pellet grill cooking till I learn more. I want to stay away from searing if I can. I do have a 12" tube if needed. I plan on doing this for HBs, chicken, steaks, and ribs only. Don't care about smoke rings or long term cooking things for now.
  • Set temp to 210 to start off with to get smoke for about 30 minutes. I don’t want to use lower temp, if possible so I don’t have to deal with a flame out.
  • Turn the heat up to whatever till the Mk4 temp probe says to take the meat off at the proper take off time so it can rest up to proper cook temp.
Is this something close to what I should do? What is the best turn up to cook temp when comes time to turn it up? Help Help @Mastertech59. I know you have given me some good tips before. Am I heading in the right direction? What do you think? Thanks

I am trying to sort out the basics to pellet grill cooking being that I have never cooked on one. I just need enough to get going till I learn more as I go along. Learning from this forum it appears to me pellet grill cooking is going to be slower than grilling. If I want that good BBQ flavor I need low temp cooking for smoke and then higher temps to get the food to cook in a timely manner. So here is what I think to go by for easiness and timeliness to pellet grill cooking till I learn more. I want to stay away from searing if I can. I do have a 12" tube if needed. I plan on doing this for HBs, chicken, steaks, and ribs only. Don't care about smoke rings or long term cooking things for now.
  • Set temp to 210 to start off with to get smoke for about 30 minutes. I don’t want to use lower temp, if possible so I don’t have to deal with a flame out.
  • Turn the heat up to whatever till the Mk4 temp probe says to take the meat off at the proper take off time so it can rest up to proper cook temp.
Is this something close to what I should do? What is the best turn up to cook temp when comes time to turn it up? Help Help @Mastertech59. I know you have given me some good tips before. Am I heading in the right direction? What do you think? Thanks
Not what you probably want to hear but.... Hamburgers, Steaks and to some degree chicken require heat IMO. I prefer all 3 over grill grates on the gas grill. Hamburgers wide open 3-4 minutes per side, MR steaks 6-8 minutes wide open, and chicken for about an hour at 325. Everything on gas but the ribs.

I use the pellet grill for smoking, period. 225 for pork, 275 for chicken.

Grilling is done on propane or charcoal, both of which I have and use so I can't help you with that function.
What he said. I use my bull all the time but never above 275. Even if I do chicken I’ll do it on low temp on the Rec Tec then I’ll finish on my propane grille with the sear option.

You've asked a yes and no are both good answers kind of question. I'll toss another log on the fire re; burgers and steaks. They can be done satisfactorily on the pellet but are better served on other equipment. But that comes down to taste, options available, and experience. That last word is the kicker. Chicken at 275 is fine, but I do mine at 350, and I like it better. But these are all choices that come from experience/experimentation.

You're being normal here. When folks are new to whatever venture, they will most often poll the world to find out what's "safe" because we humans don't like to make mistakes on purpose. You're going to get a variety of answers if you ask enough and for some that's even more confusing. Pick whatever advice makes sense to you and go with it, but don't fret if it doesn't meet your "ideal". Experiment til you find what suits your tastes/desires. I almost never cook at 225 to 203 internal temp for brisket or butt, as an example, even though to newbs that seems a hard and fast rule and the only way for success. It's not, but that has to be learned from repetition. Techniques not rules.

If I do chicken on the pellet, it is usually about 1/2 hr on low/smoke mode and then 325° until done. Or smoke tube used if just doing 325°

Hey Charles - I'm fairly new to the pellet game too and found I needed to make some adjustments to how I grill and my expectations of a pellet cooker. Especially for quick grills like you are asking about.....steaks, burgers, chicken, dogs....

While this doesn't sound very "manly," you're really now grilling in a pellet fueled oven. So you'll have to adjust your cooking technique to how you might cook these foods in an oven. Pellet grills shine at low, slow and flavor but unfortunately you'll be disappointed if you cook low and slow to get flavor then turn it up at the end expecting to open the cover to find a seared steak. For things like steak and burgers, unless you cook low and slow, take it off, put it aside before its done (say 105F), then crank the heat (which takes some time to come up to temp like an oven) then drop what your cooking back on sear grates when the "oven" hits your cranked temp (say 500-600F), you're not going to get a real sear.

If I'm trying to do something quick like steak, burger or dogs, I'll turn my Bull all the way up and treat it like I'm using indirect heat to reverse sear like I did on my old Weber, then in the last few min put it on the sear grates to get some lines or a little crust (if I turn the grates over). Works, but you're not getting that low and slow flavor that you could infuse into your steaks and burgers.

I've actually bit the bullet and bought another small grill so I can run it next to my Bull. The Bull will cook at 225F for that low, slow, mmm goodness and the secondary grill will be all the way up so when it's nearing temp I can just pull the meat and drop it on super hot grates with no downtime.

Hopefully that all makes sense as far as your question on "basics"...

Hey Charles - I'm fairly new to the pellet game too and found I needed to make some adjustments to how I grill and my expectations of a pellet cooker. Especially for quick grills like you are asking about.....steaks, burgers, chicken, dogs....

While this doesn't sound very "manly," you're really now grilling in a pellet fueled oven. So you'll have to adjust your cooking technique to how you might cook these foods in an oven. Pellet grills shine at low, slow and flavor but unfortunately you'll be disappointed if you cook low and slow to get flavor then turn it up at the end expecting to open the cover to find a seared steak. For things like steak and burgers, unless you cook low and slow, take it off, put it aside before its done (say 105F), then crank the heat (which takes some time to come up to temp like an oven) then drop what your cooking back on sear grates when the "oven" hits your cranked temp (say 500-600F), you're not going to get a real sear.

If I'm trying to do something quick like steak, burger or dogs, I'll turn my Bull all the way up and treat it like I'm using indirect heat to reverse sear like I did on my old Weber, then in the last few min put it on the sear grates to get some lines or a little crust (if I turn the grates over). Works, but you're not getting that low and slow flavor that you could infuse into your steaks and burgers.

I've actually bit the bullet and bought another small grill so I can run it next to my Bull. The Bull will cook at 225F for that low, slow, mmm goodness and the secondary grill will be all the way up so when it's nearing temp I can just pull the meat and drop it on super hot grates with no downtime.

Hopefully that all makes sense as far as your question on "basics"...
@FTRecTec, thanks to you & @Mastertech59 and the others cooking info throughout this forum I have a good starting point. That is a good idea you have using the Bullseye. I noticed in the Rec Tec FB groups several are trying to get the Bullseye but looks like it is out of stock till September. What do you think of the Matador RT-G450? What is it used for?

As you read more posts on this forum and others you will quickly see that the more you learn the more you need.

I recently bought a Weber Kettle. I already had my Bull and loved it. BUT... the more i cook and like the more options i want. I have spoiled myself (I like to cook) so I can spoil my family. I used to try to make my grill smoke and then i got a smoker and tried to grill with it. Neither are made to do the others job. With that in mind it goes like this (for me - this is all very personal to each):

RecTec - Smoking mostly... rarely "grilling". So - low temps - longer cooks. Briskets, Pork Butts/Shoulders/big loins). Large/thick reverse sear steaks (think 2.5 inch and thicker tomahawks). Mac & Cheese. Baked Potatoes. etc. Occassionaly, i will mess around with other stuff, but the reality is, the smoker is meant to smoke not grill. I now actually reverse sear using the Bull for a couple hours for the smoke flavor and then put it on an open flame on the Weber on a hot wood fire for the sear.

Weber Kettle - warmer to even high temps 300-350 to as high as 1000. Pizza (Kettle Pizza - high temps), thinner steaks, pork chops, thick burgers, slower cooked chicken (breasts, thighs), etc.

Gas Grill - 30 min dinner. Very quick and high temps. Burgers, Hot Dogs, Brats, Chicken Breasts, cheap steaks/pork chops, Rotisserie. I occasionally use the rotisserie but my grill is 100% on the days where i get out of work and have 45 mins to cook and feed my 4 kids.

(Don't forget the griddle/cast iron, etc.). LOL.

You can certainly follow your method.. it will work. BUT... no one has even brought up the clean up. There is a little bit more to cleaning the pellet smoker than the weber or gasser. I think the cooks (for me) are better as i have described above. I also don't want to have to vacuum ash dust for burgers on my pellet smoker.

Good luck... Crack Cocaine has nothing on this addiction....

As you read more posts on this forum and others you will quickly see that the more you learn the more you need.

I recently bought a Weber Kettle. I already had my Bull and loved it. BUT... the more i cook and like the more options i want. I have spoiled myself (I like to cook) so I can spoil my family. I used to try to make my grill smoke and then i got a smoker and tried to grill with it. Neither are made to do the others job. With that in mind it goes like this (for me - this is all very personal to each):

RecTec - Smoking mostly... rarely "grilling". So - low temps - longer cooks. Briskets, Pork Butts/Shoulders/big loins). Large/thick reverse sear steaks (think 2.5 inch and thicker tomahawks). Mac & Cheese. Baked Potatoes. etc. Occassionaly, i will mess around with other stuff, but the reality is, the smoker is meant to smoke not grill. I now actually reverse sear using the Bull for a couple hours for the smoke flavor and then put it on an open flame on the Weber on a hot wood fire for the sear.

Weber Kettle - warmer to even high temps 300-350 to as high as 1000. Pizza (Kettle Pizza - high temps), thinner steaks, pork chops, thick burgers, slower cooked chicken (breasts, thighs), etc.

Gas Grill - 30 min dinner. Very quick and high temps. Burgers, Hot Dogs, Brats, Chicken Breasts, cheap steaks/pork chops, Rotisserie. I occasionally use the rotisserie but my grill is 100% on the days where i get out of work and have 45 mins to cook and feed my 4 kids.

(Don't forget the griddle/cast iron, etc.). LOL.

You can certainly follow your method.. it will work. BUT... no one has even brought up the clean up. There is a little bit more to cleaning the pellet smoker than the weber or gasser. I think the cooks (for me) are better as i have described above. I also don't want to have to vacuum ash dust for burgers on my pellet smoker.

Good luck... Crack Cocaine has nothing on this addiction....
Thanks @spartanhuntr

Uncle Bob said it without ticking anyone off like like I probably would have. I can cook any thing in a 12 inch cast iron pan over an open fire and it will be edible but not the best it could be! Grills are tools. Some better than others for different jobs.

Ok guys, you’re concerning me! I don’t have my Stampede yet (this Thursday, I hope!) but I don’t want a second grill. I’ve watched videos on steaks, it looks like results grilling on the sear plates at high temp will work. Have I misread something?

I am a long time big green egg user. The pellet grill cant compete for high heats of the egg but I now prefer my 700 over the egg for low and slows.

I have cooked chicken thighs and breasts on the Rec Tec at 180 for an hour then bump up to 375 to finish cooking. They cone out perfect. It’s nice when we have company I can just set the temp and walk away.

But if your looking for smash burgers or that steak house sear you need something hotter. Not that you Can’t use the pellet grill for that but you wont get the same results of a direct heat source like a charcoal grill. My eggs are the best for “good at everything” but not great at everything. Neither Are the pellet grills. So if your a lover of cooking outdoors, get a charcoal grill to complement your pellet Grill. Even if its just a $80 base Weber kettle for those hot cooks.

Like others have said - I have my Big Bull 700 for over a year and enjoy it thoroughly. I have been lucky enough to only have 2 failed cooks over this time. I was happy cooking my 2" steaks in the 700 for 45 minutes to 124 degrees and then pulling them off and cranking the heat up to 500+ and using the sear plates (which could take 30 minutes more) for the last 12 months. I finally bit the bullet and went and bought a Weber 2 burner Spirit. I did this for 2 reasons, we live in Orlando and we have a little fun each year with Hurricane season - so power outage is something we face every year if we get hit. The Weber gives me a cooker to use in case that happens. The Weber also cust down on the time to finish the steaks searing (we eat a lot of steaks) and my wife prefers the slow cook at the beginning to Rare before searing on the Weber. The Weber hands down does a better job at searing then the plates did, and I also have the drip pan bend probably from the high heat (Rec Tec replaced free) so now I don't have to worry about that happening.

All-in-all, I love my Bull, best investment I have made. The Weber complements it and I use the two almost for every cook now.

Ok guys, you’re concerning me! I don’t have my Stampede yet (this Thursday, I hope!) but I don’t want a second grill. I’ve watched videos on steaks, it looks like results grilling on the sear plates at high temp will work. Have I misread something?
You can get by if you only cook thick steaks. Something thick enough to put a probe in. IMO expecting anything other than sear marks using the grates is a waste of time and money. The grates don't make the grill hotter. They only concentrate the heat to make the marks. I don't drink the reverse sear Cool-Aid on a pellet grill. A pellet grill is nothing more than a wood pellet fired convection oven. I don't care how hot you can get it. Think about it this way... Would you bake a steak in your kitchen oven at 250 and then crank the heat up to finish it? Sounds like twice baked steak to me. If you get old enough like me and some others here you will want more than one grill! I have a friend who runs a Treager and Green Egg. He recently bought a $200 Char-Broil just to finish steaks.

I did these chicken thighs tonight. All in the Bull. Skin up 25 minutes at 450 on the grates on the left side of the grill. Then I turned the grill down to 350 and put the thighs on the flat side of the grill grates that had been on the right side of the grill (15 minutes until they were at 180-185). They turned out awesome. Crispy and juicy. Did they taste like they had been grilled over an open flame or charcoal? No, but they were devoured. You can do a lot with these grills.

Attachments

• CA3FEE70-E227-437C-BC30-C6A894CE711E.jpeg
    CA3FEE70-E227-437C-BC30-C6A894CE711E.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 108

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back