Bull Bad experience with Knotty Wood pellets…

Can't help but think of Knotty Pine hearing Knotty Wood....

Pine smoked brisket is a lost art form, thankfully.

I wish I read this a month ago.. My bullseye HATES these pellets. They run fine on 400 degrees plus.. Seems the hotter I run the better. riot mode is no problem at all.. Once I go 300 or lower, i can get maybe 20 minutes before the clinkers cause a flame out. I will keep these around and run a smoke tube but I will never put them in the hopper ever again.

I am using the remainder of the Knotty Wood pellets in a smoke tube to supplement smoke and flavor…and let me tell you, I’ve had some of the best BBQ with this combo. Too bad they jam up the fire pot because I do believe these have the potential to give good BBQ but for me they will only be in a tube.

I am using the remainder of the Knotty Wood pellets in a smoke tube to supplement smoke and flavor…and let me tell you, I’ve had some of the best BBQ with this combo. Too bad they jam up the fire pot because I do believe these have the potential to give good BBQ but for me they will only be in a tube.
Can't go wrong with a smoke tube!

I too have had a similar situation with my 1250. I have only tried the plum wood so far. I'm able to use them low and slow for 20 to 30 minutes on wings with no problems. Then I dropped them in the fryer. They actually have a very nice sweet and Smoky flavor. However, I thought I would try using them for a pork butt. About 40 minutes into the cook I got an error and flame out on the grill. Had no idea what was going on. I had just dumped in almost 40 lb. Had to scoop all of the pellets out and vacuum out the grill. These pellets do have a ton of Ash and clinker as they call it. In about a 30 minute cook, it fills my Hopper about 25% of the way with the clinker. I still have almost 40 lb left. Will still use them if I have a short cook for wings but nothing longer than that. I've used Lumberjack and Cook N Pellets with no problems. I still have 40 lb of almond as well that I will have to try. I did call Rec Tec and ask them about these pellets. They didn't know of any issues. The only thing they could think of is that the pallets were a little long and created a jam. I didn't think that they were long but I'll have to look at the next bag.

Due to the high ratings and recommendations, I decided to try Knotty Wood (KW) pellets in the Bull. NEVER AGAIN!

Wild temp swings, warped diffuser, mini explosion, grease fire, and a ton of ash, including chunks building up in the fire pot that KW calls ’clinkers’. All with only KW pellets and one rib session.

The clinkers form in the fire pot, which I read about in the media they sent with the pellets, but didn’t realize how fast they formed in the fire pot. I believe (can’t prove) this is the cause of mini explosion. The igniter was buried in ash and clinkers over the course of my last rib cook. I also had smoke back flowing through the hopper. Now my hopper is tinted some weird color. Just unbelievable.

None of this happened with any other brand. Additionally, I never got any decent bark, color, or flavor. Left a pair of ribs on for six hours unwrapped and never got the color and bark I’d get from three hours with other brands.

Waste of money. I guess I’ll use the KW pellets in a smoke tube, but they’ll never enter the hopper again. Lumberjack (LJ) pellets (my go-to pellets over the past year or so) only from here on out. I did some deep cleaning, put the LJ pellets in and the Bull runs like a champ. Live and learn I guess…
I had the same exact experience. Took 20 lbs out of hopper a never used.

I had the same exact experience. Took 20 lbs out of hopper a never used.
Anyone tried using them in a smoke tube? I have one bag not opened yet but will not put them in the hopper after reading the experiences posted here.

@PRC yes, I've used them successfully in a smoke tube. Like anything in a smoke tube, they just need to be packed in tight to maintain continuity while burning.

FYI, I've never had a flame out, pellet bridge, etc. with the Knotty Wood pellets. They just burn pretty dirty, apparently by design. I'll continue to have some in my arsenal for certain occasions particularly when they're on sale with free delivery from Home Depot. I do appreciate that they support veterans' organizations.

I've noticed a ton more Ash with the Knotty Wood than any of the other Brands we've tried
Not "Clinkers" or jams so far
We do like the Flavor the Almond gives to the Meat though
Our Salmon cooked with KW Almond and Cherry (in the Tube) came out GREAT:
16838-f2b511b4b6fa81f8ec7258651f3bd175.jpg

16839-04d66ed9fdefc9aaa688054bdc581ad0.jpg

I recently came across Premium RD Wood BBQ Pellets from Smokehouse Products at Sam's Club. 40# bag for $14.98. Has anyone tried these and how were they? Thanks.
I missed this chain somehow. I too, found these pellets at Sam's and picked up a bag. They actually work pretty well. My Sam's carry them, but Wal-Mart does not, even though WM owns both companies. I did notice the pellets were somewhat not uniform length, but they feed fine. I have been tempted to try the Knotty Wood pellets, since they crop up on the Home Depot daily deals page, when it is grill time on the rotation. Think I will pass, after hearing what y'all have shared.

I've noticed a ton more Ash with the Knotty Wood than any of the other Brands we've tried
Not "Clinkers" or jams so far
We do like the Flavor the Almond gives to the Meat though
Our Salmon cooked with KW Almond and Cherry (in the Tube) came out GREAT:
Same here. More ash, but no other problems. No clinkers, jams, flameouts, or temp swings.
Just did a 12 hr pork butt with 50/50 almond and plum. Turned out great. Mild flavor.
I gotta try it on salmon. That sounds good.

Due to the high ratings and recommendations, I decided to try Knotty Wood (KW) pellets in the Bull. NEVER AGAIN!

Wild temp swings, warped diffuser, mini explosion, grease fire, and a ton of ash, including chunks building up in the fire pot that KW calls ’clinkers’. All with only KW pellets and one rib session.

The clinkers form in the fire pot, which I read about in the media they sent with the pellets, but didn’t realize how fast they formed in the fire pot. I believe (can’t prove) this is the cause of mini explosion. The igniter was buried in ash and clinkers over the course of my last rib cook. I also had smoke back flowing through the hopper. Now my hopper is tinted some weird color. Just unbelievable.

None of this happened with any other brand. Additionally, I never got any decent bark, color, or flavor. Left a pair of ribs on for six hours unwrapped and never got the color and bark I’d get from three hours with other brands.

Waste of money. I guess I’ll use the KW pellets in a smoke tube, but they’ll never enter the hopper again. Lumberjack (LJ) pellets (my go-to pellets over the past year or so) only from here on out. I did some deep cleaning, put the LJ pellets in and the Bull runs like a champ. Live and learn I guess…
Damn Brother! Sounds like a bad day!

Clinker-What Is It?? | Knotty Wood BBQ - YouTube

Watch video to understand knotty wood pellets. They say if your doing long cooks and using plum pellets, mix it with their almond or some other pellets with a 30/70 ratio. They admit it makes a lot clinkers due to the bark but the bark imparts the flavor.

The clinkers are from the bark of the tree that KW uses…they claim to use the entire tree including the bark. They claimed this is sets them apart from other pellets.

My experience with KW is six hours of smoking ribs…IMO there’s no way I could use these on a longer smoke like a butt or brisket. The firepot was so full of ash and clinkers I couldn’t even believe it. I smoke more than anyone I know, and clean the bull or at least pulling the drip pan, grates and diffuser out every cook (i put the water pan and smoke tube in the bottom of the bull) and I’ve never seen the mess I did after that last cook. Never had a grease fire before (rarely ever get the bull up that high).

And I’m not exaggerating on the smoke or lack thereof…even my wife was like “there’s no smoke coming from the grill, everything ok?” The ribs barely turned amber after 5 1/2 hours before I sauced them up.

Never again. Just glad the ribs made it ok and there’s no damage to the bull.

LUMBERJACK also includes bark...

Since the smoke flavor you're looking for and expecting is in the bark, we leave the bark on the primary wood but remove the bark from the oak wood when we produce our blends. We do this so the full rich flavor of the primary wood comes through, such as Hickory in the Hickory blend or Apple in the Apple blend.Oct 13, 2022

BBQ Lumberjack wood pellets for smoking​

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back