Bull Bad Controller ? Bad Application ?

BEARFN

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I had my first cook this Sunday, all looked to go well during the cook, temps climbed to 225 real quick and I placed the meal in. Periodically throughout the day I checked the application (awesome feature BTW) and all was well.

Here's the issue, many times throughout the cook the probe temps jumped all over the place, I cleaned them off, made sure there was no debris in the ports and any time you so much as breathed on a cable, touched a probe etc... the temps would jump all over the place... (From actual temp to over 500 Deg)

In addition, I also had an issue with the application on my iPhone, the temp charts would not display and all I got were errors... no code #'s just a notice that the chart could not be created (or something like that) not once in a 13 hr cook was I able to see a chart... (It worked fine the day before at the burn in)

Last item is, what looks to be the wifi antenna is dangling below the controller, may just need to be re glued or taped to the unit.

I have not called as I have not had the time and its rained constantly since Sunday however will call but first thought I'd ask if anyone else is:
  1. Having the same issue with the probes.
  2. Having the same issues with the Application.
  3. Should the Wifi antenna be mounted in the box or outside and stuck to a sidewall
  4. Not getting responses to email inquiries.
Do you think I have a bad controller with pad ports and as such, this is also not reporting properly to the App ?

Love the Bull so far and cant wait for this rain to stop so I can cook again !
Thanks in advance!

I've not had your issues exactly, but a comment on the antenna dangling. When I got my unit the antenna was stuck to the edge of the pc board. I had/have one issue with my app, I can turn off the device from my iPhone, but can't turn it on. All other operations work fine. However, my wife's iPhone can do both. When I called in to RT tech help they had me remove the lower panel and unstick the antenna from the board edge and hang it down through the lower panel opening so that it is exposed. Didn't help my situation but perhaps your antenna is detached from the gitgo since they believe that might help some folks. You'll likely find out when you call in, they are very responsive to phone contact.

Thanks @unclebob!
I did end up receiving a call from Zac (great help) and he recommended the following:
1) Tighten down the probe connections on the front of the controller (may have shook loose in shipping)
2) Regarding the Chart, the algorithm currently in the controller will not generate a chart over a long cook with the default setting of 30 seconds (something they are working to resolve in the next App release) the recommendation is to set it at 5 mins or higher.
3) Zac said the wifi antenna dangling is not an issue and that leaving it as is could increase your wifi signal. If you have a strong connection, (as I do) you could stick it to the Black portion of the controller box on the outside just below the vents.

Going to try all these ideas when I get home to see if they work, fingers crossed there will be no more issues but if there are, he said he will make it right !

p.s. Thanks for your service !

Update:
Bad News: I made adjustments to the probe connections and unfortunately I was still having issues... temps jumping from under 100 to over 500 in seconds.
Good News: REC TEC took care of it quickly and are sending me a new board !

Love the customer service !
Cheers ! ?

Last edited:
Great new. I read on another person that they had a similar issue. There is was the aguer feed rate by default was set really high. So it would increase the rate of pellets and cause the temps to be way off. The new board should fix the issue though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back