Bacon under the skin

Smoke'n Hot

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Have any of y'all put bacon under the skin of chicken or turkey before smoking ? I wrapped a chicken the other day with bacon and it turned out ok. I was hoping the bacon flavor would impart to the chicken more . I got to thinking maybe of I slide the bacon under the skin and then maybe I would impart more flavor ? What say you?

I’ve not done bacon, but routinely use a mashup of rosemary, thyme, garlic and olive oil to put under the skin of chicken and turkey breast. So it should work, although chicken might get to 165 I breast before bacon is done. Not sure about that.

Haven't done bacon. But I have success injecting a mix of butter, rub and chicken broth. I put some Freakin Greek into some butter and broth in a saucepan and heated to a boil, cooled it down to warm, strained it, then injected it. Came out freakin great. Best flavor I've had in the meat of chicken.

Maybe cook the bacon then add some of the bacon grease to an injection. Crumble the bacon to sprinkle on the chicken/turkey when serving.

Maybe cook the bacon then add some of the bacon grease to an injection. Crumble the bacon to sprinkle on the chicken/turkey when serving.

i used to add bacon to the beef injection/marinade I made, by bringing to a boil, a mixture of beef stock, rub, soy, hot sauce, worchestershire, red wine, and have a piece or two of bacon in the saucepan. The bacon would render fat and flavor into the injection. I'd cool it down before injecting. But bacon should be great for an injection made for chicken.

Have any of y'all put bacon under the skin of chicken or turkey before smoking ? I wrapped a chicken the other day with bacon and it turned out ok. I was hoping the bacon flavor would impart to the chicken more . I got to thinking maybe of I slide the bacon under the skin and then maybe I would impart more flavor ? What say you?
…I know I’m coming in late on this (I only look at the forum on the weekend) but when I use bacon on the smoker I usually put the meat in an aluminum pan so when the bacon fat drips off it remains in the pan…I also remove the first slabs of bacon after 3 hrs (cooks reward) and replace it with fresh slabs for the end cook (which is usually another 3 hours)…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back