Stampede Away for the winter

Caps_Shield

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I am putting away the ol' Rec Teq for the winter. It's in my garage and it has a cover on it. My question is I didn't remove pellets. Will that cause a problem text spring/ summer?

I am putting away the ol' Rec Teq for the winter. It's in my garage and it has a cover on it. My question is I didn't remove pellets. Will that cause a problem text spring/ summer?
As long as they stay dry, you're good!

I have not had a problem storing my RT-340 in the garage with pellets in the hopper. It is also covered with the RT cover. Generally, the humidity in even an unheated garage will be relatively low and, if the garage is attached to the house, it should remain well above freezing.

kind of a toss up. Being in the garage I’d think it would be fine, but then for 5 minutes work you can empty the hopper by hand and run the auger in test mode till that’s empty, then the fire pot.

mine lives outside, it gets emptied when we go away for extended periods.

“Bacon-wrapped Oreos?” Yikes! Now, I like bacon and I like Oreos, but combining the two kinda gives me the shakes. :ROFLMAO:

I am in central Ohio, 2 things that NEVER get put fully away in Winter are my motorcycle and my 590.......that's just the way it is, and unpredictable weather/climate happens. ;)

Central Jersey here. My 680 has stayed out in the elements uncovered with pellets always in the hopper for 7 years. I do use it rain snow and shine year round. Have not had a problem yet....knock on wood. Last cook was last week and a rack of spares. Should be no problem in the garage and covered.

If you love your smoker why take the chance. I can’t speak to the shelf life of any brand of pellets but I’d hate to have $10 worth of pellets create extra work for me in the Spring. Also, You may want to do a high temperature “burn in” before you put it way to dehydrate any left over proteins or residue as a preventive measure to keep the critters and insects from having a winter buffet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back