Bull Another RT-700 Order

BoostLife

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Well after contemplating for a while a buddy finally talked me into pulling the trigger on a RT-700.

Ended up going with the 700, Competition Cart, Sear Plates, Brush, Cover, a couple Grill Mats and 220# of pellets.

I had a KitchenAid LP Grill that I sold on Criagslist a couple weeks ago before the wife would let me order this. I have an old Masterbuilt smoker that I am tired of all the babysitting so I might as well get rid of that as well. I thought I would go Pellet Grill this time to see if it is less work. We also have a Blackstone that will stay in the routine.

Of course the hard part is the wait for it. I did order last Friday and it got to the terminal in Eau Claire WI this morning. I was hoping I would get a call to schedule delivery maybe for tomorrow but I expect it won't be until next week now. Just have to wait at this point.

I was really debating on the Cold Smoker. My buddy has one and said he really doesn't use it much. Looking at reviews and such I really never saw a lot of people with them. I figured I would at least go with the 700 so I have the ability to add it later if I really decide I want it.

Well after contemplating for a while a buddy finally talked me into pulling the trigger on a RT-700.

Ended up going with the 700, Competition Cart, Sear Plates, Brush, Cover, a couple Grill Mats and 220# of pellets.

I had a KitchenAid LP Grill that I sold on Criagslist a couple weeks ago before the wife would let me order this. I have an old Masterbuilt smoker that I am tired of all the babysitting so I might as well get rid of that as well. I thought I would go Pellet Grill this time to see if it is less work. We also have a Blackstone that will stay in the routine.

Of course the hard part is the wait for it. I did order last Friday and it got to the terminal in Eau Claire WI this morning. I was hoping I would get a call to schedule delivery maybe for tomorrow but I expect it won't be until next week now. Just have to wait at this point.

I was really debating on the Cold Smoker. My buddy has one and said he really doesn't use it much. Looking at reviews and such I really never saw a lot of people with them. I figured I would at least go with the 700 so I have the ability to add it later if I really decide I want it.
Really nice. Sear plates and grill mats were sold out when I ordered mine so gonna have to go back and try and order them.

Really nice. Sear plates and grill mats were sold out when I ordered mine so gonna have to go back and try and order them.

They had the Grill Mats but were out of the Sear Plates when I was going to order a while back. I figured get the old grill sold which funded my Competition Cart. Once sold I went there to place my order and the Sear Plates were back in stock. I quickly ordered them on Friday and I think by Sat they were out of stock again.

Now this won't help for the Grill Mats but Rec Teq doesn't make the Sear Plates. I found you can buy them on Amazon and they are in stock from the actual manufacturer. You just have to figure out your size. I was going to do this but when I saw they were in stock I just got them with the grill.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/GrillGrate/page/5840E83C-B911-4ECF-9B51-C97104CCCB30?ref_=ast_bln

My Bull shipped on April 30th and the initial estimated delivery date was May 4th. It's still showing en route with an estimated delivery date of the 8th. The wait is killing me...

My Bull shipped on April 30th and the initial estimated delivery date was May 4th. It's still showing en route with an estimated delivery date of the 8th. The wait is killing me...
Ah yes, the wait.

The worst part for me is waiting for the terminal to call. I keep answering the cell phone when I see an unrecognized number hoping it is them. So far it has been nothing but telemarketers trying to sell me an extended warranty on my truck, a realtor trying to buy my house or an offer to refinance my house. :cautious:

It will be nice to go back to ignoring all those calls...

Mine is getting shipped by Estes. It kind of looks like they use different shipping companies to different areas. The terminal is about 100 miles away from me each way. I did consider calling to see if I could get it today but I can wait. Not patiently though...

Welcome aboard, you won't regret it.

Just ordered my 700 yesterday after a year of waiting to pull the trigger. Will be new to smoking and on pins and needles waiting to see ship. What is the first thing to smoke? I read chicken because of fat will help season the grill. Searched in this website but difficult on the phone. Thx in advance for any help.

Just ordered my 700 yesterday after a year of waiting to pull the trigger. Will be new to smoking and on pins and needles waiting to see ship. What is the first thing to smoke? I read chicken because of fat will help season the grill. Searched in this website but difficult on the phone. Thx in advance for any help.
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure opinions may vary but chicken sounds like a great first cook to get your feet wet.

Enjoy your new grill and it will be here before you know it!

Congrats.

From what I have seen, RecTeq will normally tell you to do chicken thighs as your first cook. Partly because they contain a bit more fat which helps season the grill. However the other reason is you need to do the burn in @400F for an hour. Once that is done it is easy to just toss the thighs on because they cook at 400. I have read that it is easy to ramp up the heat to a higher temp but if you say want to go from 400F down to 300F to cook something at that temp, sometimes it takes a while to come back down. While there is nothing saying you have to do a cook after the burn in you might as well take advantage of heating things up.

However if you really don't like chicken thighs, then I guess you can technically do anything you want. It doesn't make much sense to cook something and toss it because you know you won't like it. If you are new to smoking I probably wouldn't recommend something like a brisket that takes a really long time and can be a bit more tricky.

Congrats.

From what I have seen, RecTeq will normally tell you to do chicken thighs as your first cook. Partly because they contain a bit more fat which helps season the grill. However the other reason is you need to do the burn in @400F for an hour. Once that is done it is easy to just toss the thighs on because they cook at 400. I have read that it is easy to ramp up the heat to a higher temp but if you say want to go from 400F down to 300F to cook something at that temp, sometimes it takes a while to come back down. While there is nothing saying you have to do a cook after the burn in you might as well take advantage of heating things up.

However if you really don't like chicken thighs, then I guess you can technically do anything you want. It doesn't make much sense to cook something and toss it because you know you won't like it. If you are new to smoking I probably wouldn't recommend something like a brisket that takes a really long time and can be a bit more tricky.
thx. I did not think about cooking right after the burn in. I like the idea. Don't get me wrong, We will eat the chicken. I will be like a big kid at grandma's house eating all the good home cooking. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back